Thread: GE Profile Icemaker issues

GE Profile Icemaker issues

Model Number: PFSS5RKZHSS
    Brand: GE

I have no ice from my GE Profile that is about 4 years old. New water filter. Water is in the tray but it is not freezing. The freezer and frig actual/set temps are within 1 degree of each other at 1/38. I cycled the icemaker per the service manual, turned the switch off for 20 secs, turned on and pushed the arm in 3 times. It cycles thru the test mode. I did the thermistor test and all say "passed". One observation... When the icemaker was working, I had cold air blowing from the upper duct into the icemaker. The airflow diagram shows the icemaker fan blowing this air in and returning back to the freezer thru the lower duct. Now that it's not working, I have cold air blowing in from the lower duct only, no upper duct air (around the upper duct feels warm). How is that? The cold air coming from the lower duct measures about 5 degrees or so. Does this sound like I need an ice blower fan, main control board, icemaker assy or something else? What else can I try?

Check first to see if the ice maker fan is working in the freezer. If this fan is running but the cold air isn't making it to the ice maker compartment then you have a frost/ice blockage keeping the air from making it up to the ice maker compartment. The only way to fix this is to unplug the refrigerator and leave the doors open for 24+ hours to let the frost and ice melt.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Ice fan is not working. I removed it to check if it's bound up and it's not, free as can be. Also, I took a hair dryer and put it on the ice fan duct and my wife felt hot air at the upper duct feeding the icemaker compartment. So no blockages. I read in the service manual there is a "liner protection mode" where if the door is left open for 3 minutes the ice fan will come on. I did that and still no ice fan. So I figure I either have a bad ice fan WR60X10330 or a bad main board WR55X11098. Can I narrow it down further or is there a likelihood of one over the other?

Please see the attached PDF below with the manufactures information for testing this fan. We also see where the fan motor burns out first and then in turn burns out the main control board. So don't rule out that you might need to replace both parts to remedy the problem.

ice fan test.pdf
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

I know it's been awhile, did you ever figure this out. I am having a similar issue where the top hole feels warm and the bottom hole seems to be getting the cold air.

Quote Originally Posted by tinyt1553 View Post
    I know it's been awhile, did you ever figure this out. I am having a similar issue where the top hole feels warm and the bottom hole seems to be getting the cold air.
    For me, replacing the board and the fan worked. However, the compressor ended up burning up 6 months later so I just bought a new fridge. Went with LG this time around as GE quality seems to have went down hill over the last several years.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikGoBlue View Post
    For me, replacing the board and the fan worked. However, the compressor ended up burning up 6 months later so I just bought a new fridge. Went with LG this time around as GE quality seems to have went down hill over the last several years.
    just put in a new board, working splendidly again. I mean I'm happy that this is really the first issue we've had in the 7 years we've had the fridge

Are you talking about the board on the ice maker or mother board at the lower right rear of fridge?

the fridge main board (lower right back corner).

IF you have the same model here's a link to the part https://partsdr.com/part/wr55x11098-main-control-board