Thread: Maytag diswasher MDB8949SAM0 some keys unresponsive, replaced panel, all LEDs now on

Maytag diswasher MDB8949SAM0 some keys unresponsive, replaced panel, all LEDs now on

Model Number: MDB8949SAM0
    Brand: Maytag

Hello - several months ago our dishwasher developed a problem(suddenly; it had worked fine for three years): it stopped responding to most of the control panel keys - "quick wash" worked with each press and started a cycle which seemed to complete normally, "normal" would light about one in ten times, and "start/resume" and "cancel/drain" would work. Other keys produced no result.
    I went through various tests: door latch switch opened and closed its circuit properly and AC power was available to the board. I noticed dark spots of corrosion within the ribbon cable attached to the control panel, and after some experimentation(I noticed that I could get "normal" to work if I wiggled and twisted the cable a certain way) and a great deal of internet searching - it seems as if Maytag dishwashers need these panel/cable sets replaced almost as a matter of routine - decided the most likely cause of failure was the cable.

Now, we don't have a whole lot of money, so we put off the repair until this week, hand-washing everything and just using the dishwasher for a drying rack. I ordered the panel from Parts Dr.(best price on the internet, too!) and installed it this evening: when I plugged in the dishwasher, ALL panel lights came on and no keys were responsive. This had never happened with the old panel. I immediately began swearing(the traditional first step in any repair situation), unplugged the dishwasher and went to cook dinner for my kids. An hour or so later, I again plugged in the dishwasher to find that several keys worked: "jet clean", "auto clean", "quick wash", "heated dry", "start/resume" and "cancel/drain" all lit/unlit their LEDs or worked as expected when pressed - others did nothing except "heated dry"(that one would flash its LED three or four times, but the LED would then go out).
    I pulled the kick panel off, consulted the tech sheet and began the self-diagnostic routine, but I was interrupted by my wife getting home with our son and couldn't pay attention to the dishwasher. I did get the thing started on a "quick wash" with no detergent, just to see what would happen.

After everybody else was finally in bed, I returned to find the dishwasher silent, with all LEDs lit. I again opened up the thing and started looking over anything I could see: I opened the case around the circuit board and checked what I could - the fuse F9 is intact, no wires or connectors are visibly burned or discolored, and no components appear damaged on the board.

I am disheartened and near the limit of my abilities/equipment. Reading the tech sheet and further internet searching tells me that the circuit board probably also needs to be replaced, and is most likely the root cause anyway, despite the evident physical damage to the old ribbon cable.

Is there anything else I should be checking before ordering a new board for this thing? Do you agree that the next step is to replace the board? I hate to order a part when I can't verify that the old one is bad.

Thank you for your attention and for hosting the forum, between Youtube and fora like this I have saved countless dollars and hours on home and car repairs over the last few years

- Ben

Hi Ben,

I'm sorry to hear that you are still having problems with the dishwasher after replacing the control panel. When you ran the dishwasher on the Quick Wash cycle with the new part, did it run through the cycle correctly? Have you gone through the troubleshooting steps listed in the tech sheet?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter