Thread: Frigidaire Dishwasher continuously runs

Frigidaire Dishwasher continuously runs

Model Number: FDB4315LFB0
    Brand:
    Frigidaire

Hi,
    I am trying to repair a Frigidaire dishwasher model FDB 4315LFB0 ( purchased in 2007). The problem we've been having is that the motor runs and won't shut off unless thedoor is open. It runs through all thecycles and the motor unit will not completethe wash cycle and shut off ( it;'llliterally run as long as the door is closed). The unit is getting water, and isheating and appears to run through the cycles, and the water is spraying. It's just that themotor just runs and runs no matter whatas soon as the door is closed . The cancel / drain cycle has no effect on themotor running. I've cleaned all filters and there does notappear to be any blockage from inside the tub. The drain pump is workingalso. One thing I did notice is that itis spraying water all the time as well.
    I've tried to "reset" the unit by turning offcircuit breaker for a few minutes , then turning back on , but I still get thesame results.
    So yesterday I found and downloaded the Electrolux Fully integrated Direct Feed DishwasherService manual and run it through the following self diagnostic tests:
    Water Service Test: (as stated since the motor won't shutoff, it ran through all phases of test).
    · Only failure was during the Dry cycle andreceived code rA : which means Rinse Aid (" the control has sensed aproblem with the reed switch in the Rinse Aid dispenser")
    Water Temperature Test: ( again motor ran through entiretest)
    · Water temp was registering from 94F whichappears correct temp for the inflow water.
    Relay/Triac and Sensor Tests:
    · Active water valve: normal
    · Test Variable Speed motor ( through 4 speeds andshut off): would only read 35 on display( i.e. 3500 rpm motor speed) through all 4 speed tests . There was no variationin motor speed. Also this test would not terminate and motor continued to run.
    · Heater on/ off: normal
    · Detergent dispenser: normal
    · Rinse aid level : normal
    · Drain pump: normal (pump cycled)
    · Vent/ Fan dry: normal ( variable speed (rpm's) registered as fanturned on and off)
    · Soil sensor: normal ( I think this registered 46, but I didn't write it down, so justa guess)
    · Thermistor: normal (94F registered)
    Also, I pulled the control module out and inspected thecircuit board for any signs of burnt or broken circuits or wires and everything looked physically OK.
    First I know it threw a Rinse Aid code indicating the reedvalve was not functioning properly. There was rinse aid in the unit, but I filled it up just in case and ranthe test again and still got the same fault code. Could this possibly be causing the problem? I wouldn't think so , but what do Iknow. Frankly I am really not concerned if the rinse aid doesn't work as we usethose detergent "pods" now that have rinse aid integrated in them.But , if it is a possible culprit, I will replace the bad part.
    So, aside from the Rinse Aid issue, I amthinking there is either an issue with the Variable speed motor circuit ( i.e.the switch that controls the motor , or the motor itself) . One thing that was not tested in all of thiswas the float switch, which as I understand controls the inflow of water. I think this is OK, but I'd like to test itto make sure. Can you advise how to test the float switch?
    Also , I do not see a separate timer anywhere on the unit,is it safe to assume this is found on the circuit board? The timer does startat 93 mins for normal wash cycle and runs down as it cycles through, but it still doesn't shut off after it reachesthen end of cycle .
    Can anyone advise how to determine definitively what is wrongwith the variable speed motor that is causing it to run constantly? Whatcontrols it's "variable" speed setting and what turns it on/off? Isit a physical switch , or something on the main circuit board? Is there a way to test the motor standingalone?
    I intend to fully pull the unit out tonight to get at the components on thebottom and side to inspect and testthem, but would really appreciate any guidance that might be provided.
    Thanks
    Guy

The circulation pump motor is controlled by the control board. If the circulation pump motor is running constantly then the main control board has to be sending power to the pump motor when it is not supposed to. If you look at the schematic the door switch in series with the pump motor so that would make sense what it turns off when you open the door. I don't know of any way to test the motor outside of the dishwasher and I don't think the rinse aid error has any correlation to the pump problem. Let us know what you find.

This is the control board for your model dishwasher:

Control Board - Part # PD00000407 (mfg # 154757002)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter