Thread: GE dryer making steady very loud chirping sounds as drum turns

GE dryer making steady very loud chirping sounds as drum turns

Model Number: GTDP490ED0WS
    Brand: GE

My 4.5 year old dryer has already had a timer repair, done by my husband. In the last few days it has made very loud chirping sounds constantly while the drum turns, which can be heard two rooms away. It does heat. I checked all around it to be sure there was nothing that could be vibrating against or under it. If I press on the right end of the top part of the dryer and hold it, the sounds almost goes away. But I can't stand and hold it all day. We would rather fix this ourselves if possible due to other big expenses right now. My husband is very mechanical, but can't kneel on the floor, so I don't know if this is something I can do under his direction if someone knows what is wrong, and can tell us what parts to order. We are a family of two senior citizens, so it not as though this dryer is overworked. Thank you!

Hi Laura,

From your description of the problem it sounds like the front bearing and drum slides that the drum rides on are getting worn. Over time the drum slides wear away and eventually the front part of the drum start to ride on the plastic part of the bearing which causes a squeaking noise. The repair involves removing the top and front of the dryer, so it may not require any kneeling but I can't say for sure. My guess is that he should probably be able to do the repair.

We sell a bearing kit for your model dryer that includes all of the pieces to replace the front bearing.

Dryer Bearing Kit - Part # PD00025425 (mfg # WE49X20697)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter