Thread: Refrigerator/Freezer not Cooling

Refrigerator/Freezer not Cooling

Model Number: 79572053110
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

I recently found out that my Kenmore Elite Model 79572053110 stopped cooling the freezer, and the refrigerator. Here is what I did while troubleshooting. Opened fridge and freezer door, then held down "Ice Select & Refrigerator Temp" to put in demo mode "O FF", then turned off demo mode. Opened back panel at top, and pressed the little black button on the mother board once. Fridge beeped 3 times (all options on control panel at front lit up). Pressed it again and it beeped three times but as two consecutive beeps (Control panel went back to normal). Pressed it again, and fan turned off, and was as if it turned off the fridge. Repeating the pattern does the same. The times when it beeped, the fan ran inside the fridge, and it seemed like it was working, but the air wasn't cold, I don't really think so. The compressor makes noise, so it's getting power, but I don't know if enough. The compressor stops running with a kind off scratch noise, and then I suppose will start up again, because it's running sometimes. There is an LED light on the mother board that blinks six times. The capacitor looks fine (no burns). I have unplugged it, waited 15 minutes or so, then plugged it back in. The coils are clean, the big fan back there is running. There have not been any error codes, and I'm sure that I did not erase by unplugging. The filter fan works. No air is being pushed into the fridge unless compressor is running, and that air is not cooled. I have a list of suspected part failures, but I need a veteran to tell me what the likely suspect is. Please Help.

If the refrigerator is on and the compressor and fans are running, then it should be cooling. If it isn't, then you would need to inspect the evaporator coils to see if they are getting cold. The evaporator coils are located behind the back panels in the freezer and refrigerator sections.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    If the refrigerator is on and the compressor and fans are running, then it should be cooling. If it isn't, then you would need to inspect the evaporator coils to see if they are getting cold. The evaporator coils are located behind the back panels in the freezer and refrigerator sections.
    Hi Ryan8874
    The evaporator coils are not cold, nothing gets cold. I replaced the start relay, and that did not fix it. I am hearing clicking on the control panel, so I'm thinking that I might replace the run capacitor, or maybe called the capacitor start. The three prongs sticking out of the compressor do not all have continuity. The bottom, and the top left do, but the top right does not. When I replaced the start relay, I noticed that there was not a contact for that top right prong, so I'm thinking that not all compressors have continuity with all three prongs. Sorry for the laymen term "Prongs".

When you are doing an ohm test on the compressor, are you testing the resistance between the three prongs? If so, what are the ohm readings between the prongs?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter