Thread: Ice maker bucket is freezing both inside and outside.

Ice maker bucket is freezing both inside and outside.

Model Number: pfss6pkxass
    Brand: GE

I have a GE Profile pfss6pkxass french door/bottom freezer type refrigerator.
    My problem is that I'm getting ice forming in the bottom of the ice bucket as if water is leaking into the bucket itself or the cubes are melting. This causes my cubes to freeze to the bottom of the bucket. It has also broken the opening of the bucket from the auger forcing large chunks of ice thru the hole to the dispenser. I will occasionally get bits of plastic in my ice from the bucket breaking more.
    I also have an issue with water getting into the ice maker bucket cavity itself, outside of the bucket. As if water is getting outside the ice bucket somehow. It actually will freeze the bucket into the ice maker freezer cavity. I have to bang on it to get it out. When I do, there is ice completely surrounding the interior of the ice maker freezer cavity, outside the bucket, in the shape of the bucket on the bottom and left side.
    Despite all of this, the ice maker still works and produces ice pretty well. Its just annoying that the bucket is being damaged. I don't want to replace the bucket until I solve the ice build up issue.
    I suspect some kind of water valve or solenoid issue. Or water is spraying around for some reason when the ice maker refills. I just wanted to see if anyone else had this issue or some expert advice. I don't want to throw parts at it and hope it fixes it. These parts aren't cheap. The bucket itself is $130!!!

So far I have tried removing the bucket and ice maker itself and thawing it all out for a day. Still having the same issue.
    Thanks for any help.

I messed around with the ice maker again today. I had it all torn apart. I checked the water inlet and tube. No obstructions or ice. Only thing I noticed was that some water was still let in even though I had the ice lock out on. Not sure if this normal or what. It was a very small amount. I have turned down the water pressure at the valve to see if that helps. Still thinking this is a water control valve issue. Hopefully not a control panel problem. Any pro advice would be very helpful. Thanks.

Update: After taking the ice-maker all apart it has now quit working. It sounds like it tries to fill but the water shuts off after a second and the fridge chimes. There's nothing in the owners manual about the chime. There's no errors on the display. It also appears that water was dripping from the ice maker between the ice tray and the front of the unit. Maybe that's where my ice build up is coming from. Had it with this thing. I'm about ready to order a new ice maker, bucket, and water inlet valve.