Thread: Samsung fridge not cooling after lightning storm - inverter pcb starting failure

Samsung fridge not cooling after lightning storm - inverter pcb starting failure

Model Number:
    Brand: Brand

Model Number: RFG298AARS
    Brand: Samsung

So after a particularly bad thunderstorm a while back, my fridge LCD panel was messed up, but the fridge was cooling ok for a while. I unplugged and left for a while and reset the LCD panel and it seemed ok for a while. Then it started intermittently not cooling, requiring a 10 minute power down cycle to start again. It finally has stopped cooling altogether. The inverter PCB has a single flashing light indicating a starting failure. It visually looks ok, though there are some heating marks above the board on the plastic (darkening of the plastic above the board). I'm going to try to replace the inverter board first (part DA41-00404D) to see if that fixes it.

Question: Is this the most likely board to be damaged by electrical spike?

I've also ordered the main board just in case, but won't even try to replace until I've replaced the inverter. The front LCD panel seems to be ok. If I put it in diagnostic mode (hold the freezer and lighting buttons for 8 seconds) all the LED indicators light up (i.e. shows 88 88). I'm assuming this means that the diagnotics aren't available. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by chionatech View Post
    Model Number:
    Brand: Brand

Model Number: RFG298AARS
    Brand: Samsung

Question: Is this the most likely board to be damaged by electrical spike?
    As far as I heard from other similar "stories", it could be either the board or the compressor, which could be overheated within a second (a starter relay replacement?). Now I wonder what the solution was.
    Do you have a grounding problem at home? If you act proactive and insatt a whole house lightning protection system, look here how the protection works https://www.streamer-electric.com/pr...ing-protection or at least a good surge protection, it will be cheaper than repairing appliances or restoring lost data.