Thread: frosting on evaporator coil

frosting on evaporator coil

Model Number: 253.6580250A
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Hi, I have been asking this question at different places but I got different answers, and never seemed to get close to figuring out what the problem is. My Kenmore fridge has this problem whereby the evaporator behind the back plate in the freezer would frost up and that prevents the refrigerator part below to get cold (the freezer is ok). I would have to defrost and it would happen again in a couple days. When I open up the panel in the back of the freezer this is what I see, it always frosts up just the bottom part:

https://s5.postimg.org/varj0g0t3/0118171256.jpg

I have been told that it is the problem with the sealed system, the defrost system, the freon, and the door (the doors I checked and did not see any problem). But no one has shown me how to rule them out. So I am hoping if someone would be able to give me some pointers on where to start to narrow down the possible causes.

I mean maybe it is a problem not worth fixing after all, but I am still interested to learn some basic diagnostic steps.

Many thanks and have a blessed day to all!

Doc
    Looks like a sea;led system problem to me.

The evaporator should frost over fairly evenly.

I would defrost the unit completely.
    Then put the evaporator cover back in place to ensure the air flow is correct.
    You do not need to screw it in place.
    Then plug the unit back in and let it run for 15 minutes.
    Check that the evaporator/freezer fan is running.
    After 15 minutes shut the unit off and recheck the evaporator coils.
    If there is just frost on the bottom portion of the coils then it is a sealed system problem and most likely not worth fixing.

Quote Originally Posted by denman View Post
    Looks like a sea;led system problem to me.

The evaporator should frost over fairly evenly.

I would defrost the unit completely.
    Then put the evaporator cover back in place to ensure the air flow is correct.
    You do not need to screw it in place.
    Then plug the unit back in and let it run for 15 minutes.
    Check that the evaporator/freezer fan is running.
    After 15 minutes shut the unit off and recheck the evaporator coils.
    If there is just frost on the bottom portion of the coils then it is a sealed system problem and most likely not worth fixing.
    Thank you so much. I will proceed with that and report it here. What if the evaporator is normally frosted evenly but you only see this pattern when the bottom compartment is not cold? a problem with the defrost unit?

Doc
    What if the evaporator is normally frosted evenly but you only see this pattern when the bottom compartment is not cold? a problem with the defrost unit?
    Yes that would be my diagnosis.

FYI: If it is a defrost problem the unit should run correctly for several days re: cycling on and off.
    Then when the coils clog up the compressor will run most or all the time except during a defrost cycle.
    If is is a sealed system problem then the unit runs most or all the time except during a defrost cycle even when the coils are clean.