Thread: Kenmore Coldspot freezer-to-fridge drain fills with ice and backs up into freezer

Patient

Kenmore Coldspot freezer-to-fridge drain fills with ice and backs up into freezer

Model Number: 96298581
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

I don't know the age of this fridge, since we got it when we bought the house, but it's quite old I'm sure.

It worked well at first but something has stopped, and now we have to clean out a water drain in the main compartment by hand or it fills up with ice almost daily, and then backs into the freezer, and then the whole unit begins to lose its cooling ability.

Any idea what might have failed and if parts are available for a unit of this age?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2568.CR2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	519Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2571.CR2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	520Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2572.CR2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	521

Doc
    Your complete model number may be 106.96298581

Sounds like drain tube is plugged so that the water from the defrost cycle cannot drain into the drain pan.

I would check that it is clear.
    If plugged a turkey baster with warm water, an air compressor with low pressure or a wire can often be used to clear it.

Also check that it is not plugged with dust etc. at the drain pan end.
    You might as well clean the condenser/compressor fan and the condenser coils while you are down there.

If it looks like stuff is growing in the tube I would flush it with a 10% bleach solution. This should kill the stuff and let you flush it out. You may have to do this several times, let it sit for 15 minutes or so between flushes.

Be careful that the drip tray does not overflow and empty the drip tray after you are done.

Be sure to unplug the unit while doing this.

Patient
    Quote Originally Posted by denman View Post
    Your complete model number may be 106.96298581

Sounds like drain tube is plugged so that the water from the defrost cycle cannot drain into the drain pan.

I would check that it is clear.
    If plugged a turkey baster with warm water, an air compressor with low pressure or a wire can often be used to clear it.

Also check that it is not plugged with dust etc. at the drain pan end.
    You might as well clean the condenser/compressor fan and the condenser coils while you are down there.

If it looks like stuff is growing in the tube I would flush it with a 10% bleach solution. This should kill the stuff and let you flush it out. You may have to do this several times, let it sit for 15 minutes or so between flushes.

Be careful that the drip tray does not overflow and empty the drip tray after you are done.

Be sure to unplug the unit while doing this.

This is really brilliant, thank you so much, I will give this a go.

Appreciate the awesome suggestions, I had no idea where to look!

Patient
    It seems like the problem is the evaporator fan in the freezer. It was frozen, not literally with ice but simply not turning. Looks like it probably needs to be replaced. It did start again briefly but with constant screeching.

thank you so much for the bleach suggestion. the drain hose is much happier now. draining well now, though it will probably freeze back up again with the freezer fan not working. I nearly got this fan apart and lubed but the backplate fell backwards down an endless hole behind the freezer wall, preventing reinstallation. Hopefully I can find a replacement part.

compressor fan is much cleaner now! thank you for the maintenance suggestions, it was a big help.
    Last edited by Blake K; 01-20-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Doc
    You are welcome.

Yes I would just replace the fan. Odds are that just lubing it will not last too long.