Thread: Samsung Dryer not drying

Samsung Dryer not drying

Model Number: dv48h7400ew/a2
    Brand: Samsung

This dryer does not blow hot air. I called my appliance guy (not savvy on samsung I find out later) and he came out and determined is was the main board. Ordered one and still no hot air. No error codes, all other tests have been done and all come out functional.

I called a samsung repair company and they sent out a rookie and he said it was either the board or there is a short. He determined that the heater wasn't getting power. (the power at the outlet going to the dryer came out fine.)

They wanted to take the dryer to the shop and go through it completely. He gave me an estimate of over $300. I said no thanks.

Open for your input.
    Thanks

My dryer is DV42H5200EP and is just over 2 years old with a very similar issue. My technician found nothing wrong with any of the heating elements and concluded that it was the relay board. Fast forward a week later and a new relay board was installed and the dryer still does not dry. He tested the relay board and was able to get heat etc. but the dryer would not stay on and heat. He figured the relay board is either faulty or there is something wrong with the interface.

All in all I'm super disappointed and frustrated. The relay board and service costs $375. If the interface is added its close to $550. Should I just buy a new dryer at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by samsungproblems View Post
    My dryer is DV42H5200EP and is just over 2 years old with a very similar issue. My technician found nothing wrong with any of the heating elements and concluded that it was the relay board. Fast forward a week later and a new relay board was installed and the dryer still does not dry. He tested the relay board and was able to get heat etc. but the dryer would not stay on and heat. He figured the relay board is either faulty or there is something wrong with the interface.

All in all I'm super disappointed and frustrated. The relay board and service costs $375. If the interface is added its close to $550. Should I just buy a new dryer at this point?
    I picked up a used whirlpool old simple style for $50 off facebook to at least be able to dry the clothes. I'd still like to get the samsung functional.

Doc
    Was power checked at the terminal strip in the unit?

Just because there is 240 volts at the wall receptacle does not mean there is 240 in the unit.
    Line cords do go bad occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by denman View Post
    Was power checked at the terminal strip in the unit?

Just because there is 240 volts at the wall receptacle does not mean there is 240 in the unit.
    Line cords do go bad occasionally.
    It was check on the back side of the dryer where the power cord connects. Somewhere between there and the heater there is now power going to the heater.

Doc
    samsungproblems : Please start your own post as just tagging onto Fredhunter's post is going to confuse thinks.

Somewhere between there and the heater there is now power going to the heater.
    The above is confusing!! What power is going to the heater OR is this just a typo and the "now" should be "no"?

Do you have a multi meter?
    Do you have experience with electrical?
    Do you have the tech sheet with the wiring diagram?

You need all three to continue as you have to do some live tests (unit running). This means you will be messing with 240 volts which is lethal!!!

Since the thermal cutouts and the heaters measure OK you have to do a resistance check for those circuits to be sure it is not a bad wire.
    If all OK then you need to do live checks to see if the heater relay/s are closing and that the centrifugal switch is closing.