Thread: Need idea

Need idea

Model Number: LAT8035AAE
    Brand: Maytag

I've had this washer since it was new 22 years ago, it has been a very good appliance. It doesn't have all those unneeded options, it just washes clothes. A few weeks ago I started a load and walked away, when I came back I had found that it didn't start agitating, and the belt was smoking. I thought that because the belt was 22 years old, that it may have stretched and would not spin the pulley. I bought a new belt, but they only come in a set of 2 for $23. Put the new one on, and it worked for a week or two, then froze up again and smoked that belt, thinking that I may have not removed all the slack when I installed it,I bought another set. A week went by and i caught it not agitating when it started, so I quickly stopped the machine and removed the front cover, then rotated the transmission by hand, then started the machine and it worked fine. It worked for about 5-10 times normally,then got stuck again and would not agitate on its own, unless i played with the transmission to get it unstuck. So I thought it may need a bearing being so old, replaced the bearing and the seal. To my dismay it works most of the time, but can't trust it, can't keep buying belts, once they get a burn in them. So now I think it must be the transmissions I take the cover off the trans and all the gears look like brand new, can't see anything wrong. Now I am stumped and need some experienced advice on what to do next,I am a good DIY,but lack repair experience on appliances. Any advice? Model LAT8035AAE

The belt set for this washer includes one belt for the pump and one of the transmission. Make sure that you are installing the correct belt on each one. Besides the other things that you have checked, the only other thing that I can think of that could be causing your problem would be a bad brake. The brake engages while the washer agitates to keep the tub from moving and disengages during the spin cycle to allow the tub to spin freely.

This is the brake for your model washer:

Brake Assembly - Part # PD00003927 (mfg # WP6-2011900)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter