Thread: Whirlpool dryer overheating

Whirlpool dryer overheating

Model Number: WED9200SQ0
    Brand: Whirlpool

I have a whirlpool dryer (model: wed9200sq0) that's constantly overheating & just tonight did it finally give error code of F-23. So far I have changed both inlet& outlet thermistors, thermal cutoff, blower fan & even blower motor & several thermal fuses. The entire duct has been replaced & is only about 6' with no kinks anywhere. Heating element has not been replaced but checks out to be fine. According to the manual F-23 is outlet thermistor shorted. Like I said it's new. I've read online that maybe the control board is bad. What else could it be? If it's control board can someone please give me the correct part # & also if there's something I'm overlooking or something I could or need to check like wiring or anything to test thermistor being shorted please help me out. I build street rods but as you can tell I'm not to good at fixing this dryer although I've fixed several others in the past but none that were computer control or had control board. I do have a meter & I am very new at using it for this type of job. Automobile wiring is totally different so instructions would be greatly appreciated as well. PLEASE HELP!?!?! As you can tell I could've bought a new dryer by now & almost have a new one as far as parts are concerned

Hi Dawgsfan1,

The problem could also be bad wiring between the thermistor and the control board. You could test the wiring by doing a continuity test by touching the probe to each end of the specific wire you are testing. I would also recommend doing a visual inspection of the wires to look for any breaks or shorts in the wires that go from the thermistor to the control board. If the wiring is good then I would replace the control board next. Let us know what you find.

Thermistor and wiring testing instructions. Unplug dryer. Remove the P4 connector, then measure the resistance between P4-3 (red wire) and P4-6 (red wire) at the connector. ➔ If the resistance is OK, check P4-3 and P4-6 to machine ground. ➔ If resistance is greater than 0 (zero), replace wiring harness. The following table gives temperatures and their associated resistance values.
    (click to enlarge)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thermistor resistance.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	587
    If the thermistor resistance does not agree with table, replace the outlet thermistor. If the thermistor resistance checks agree with the measurements in the table, replace the machine control electronics.

These are the parts for your model dryer:

Electronic Control Board - Part # PD00003587 (mfg # WPW10110641)

Main Electrical Harness - Part # PD00038201 (mfg # 8579739)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Circuit board fixed it. Thanks for help & sorry it took so long to respond. Not had greatest luck out of this dryer so wanted to make sure before posting & ending this post. Thanks again