Thread: GE PGB960EEJES- oven temp sporadic

GE PGB960EEJES- oven temp sporadic

Model Number: PGB960EEJES
    Brand: GE

I have a 9 month old GE Profile double oven gas range: Every time I try to use either oven, the digital display will tell me it is the temperature I set it to after it pre-heats- however it is usually about 100 degrees off. Last night I had set it for 375(F) and when I checked the thermometer it read over 600(F). Usually it will say it is preheated and be 100(F) off either way. Broiler is also sporadic. When I do attempt to use either oven I have to sit in front of it and watch my thermometer to make sure it is actually doing anything. I have had the store repairman out 3 times, on the 4th call I was told he would not be coming because he didn't know how to fix it. I am now on my 27th call to GE, most of the time they tell me to find my own repairman because I'm too rural. One of them told me I need to contact the company who converted it from natural gas to LP because this happens when it is not done properly. The store informed me they converted it and that would never cause this issue. He then told me to call an electrician. I just want to be able to use my ovens. Anyone know what could be causing this issue? The "motherboard" control panel was replaced with no results, he "calibrated" the temperature another time and left after saying "it's pretty close". I feel like it definitely could be the gas valves because the way they explained it on the phone made sense the range burners are semi inconsistent once in awhile but not frequently.

What kind of thermometer are you using to monitor the oven temperature?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

I have tried 4 different ones: a meat thermometer, a digital thermometer from my husbands tool box, an IR, and 2 different candy thermometers. Mine all read what the repairmans thermometer read so they are accurate- the digital one I used was similar to what he uses so I assumed it was the best option... should I try a different one? I know there's a problem without having to measure the temp though- my food either burns or is completely raw....?

The infrared style ones are not good oven measuring oven temp, but if one of your other ones matched the technicians then that should be okay. We see alot of people using the cheap ones that you buy at the grocery store and they are not very responsive or accurate. Thermoworks.com makes some nice thermometers and they make some high temperature external probes that you can safely use inside an oven. Has the oven ever worked correctly since it was new?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

No, it never was accurate I baked with horrible results for 2 weeks but thought it was just the new oven and told myself to get used to it- I just didn't have a chance to use it enough due to other circumstances.... I usually bake bread every 2 days and right after I bought it my mother got sick and came to live with me on hospice so I was unable to do my usual baking. When she passed away I started up my normal routine and everything was getting ruined again. Could it be possibly a problem with the conversion to LP? Maybe the ovens didn't get regulated correctly? The store repairman said that would never cause this issue however, GE told me that it was causes it...

Yes if the LP conversion wasn't done properly it could cause the problem. If you suspect it wasn't converted properly it would be a good idea to have someone check to see if it was done properly.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com