Thread: GE Profile Side by Side Refrigerator has mild temperature fluctuations

Exclamation GE Profile Side by Side Refrigerator has mild temperature fluctuations

Model Number: PCF25NGWA
    Brand: GE

I bought a used GE Profile Refrigerator Side by Side from an appliance store last week. I hooked it up and it took probably a good 24hrs before it got down to temp (maybe a little longer). But, since then, it has continued to fluctuate up and down, never consistently holding a temperature. My settings are -1 and 35 degrees F for the freezer and refrigerator respectively. My freezer will go from -1 all the way up to 7 at some points (usually will hold around 4 for the longest I've noticed) and the refrigerator will go from 36 to 42 (usually will hold around 40-41 for the longest). Not sure what the heck these are symptoms of. My food seems ok and I haven't been able to see how ice handles in the freezer yet because the geniuses at GE decided to make their water line hookup 5/16 which isn't exactly a standard size. ANY help on what it might be or personal testimonies of what people have done will help. Refrigerator troubleshooting is not my strong suit. Thank you in advance!!!

It sounds like a problem you would probably want a professional to take a look at. If the refrigerator came with a warranty I would contact them to have them take a look at it.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

10 Years Old

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    It sounds like a problem you would probably want a professional to take a look at. If the refrigerator came with a warranty I would contact them to have them take a look at it.
    The refrigerator is 10 years old. I replaced the motherboard and condenser fan motor last night to see if that would help. When I woke up this morning, the freezer was at 8 degrees and the refrigerator was at 45. Not sure if this matters but I've noticed the temperature comes down the more we are in and out of it (during the day). And starts to rise when we aren't (middle of the night). I know they have an "energy" feature that regulates the temperature inside based on the frequency of the door being opened.

The next thing that I would inspect the is frost pattern on the evaporator coil to see if the refrigerator system is working properly.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

The next thing that I would inspect the is frost pattern on the evaporator coil to see if the refrigerator system is working properly.
    I checked, there was frost built up, not too severely, all around the coils. I used a hair dryer to get it off and replaced the defrost heater and temp. sensor that lies on the coil. Nothing has changed though. That was about 16hrs ago that I did that.

The bulk of the frost was down by where the heater is.

It sounds like it isn't properly going through the automatic defrost cycle. After you replaced these parts did you manually melt all of the frost on the coil to get it caught up?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

It sounds like it isn't properly going through the automatic defrost cycle. After you replaced these parts did you manually melt all of the frost on the coil to get it caught up?
    I used a hair dryer to get what I could see; do I need to let it sit off for awhile to fully defrost it for it to work?