Thread: GE Profile Water Leaking from Freeze/Ice Maker

GE Profile Water Leaking from Freeze/Ice Maker

Model Number: PFSS5NJWASS
    Brand: GE

Hello. We have a GE Profile PFSS5NJWASS bottom freezer fridge. We are having a problem where water is accumulating in the bottom of the freezer which eventually leaks out onto the floor. Leak is slow, can take several days to fill up bottom of the freezer floor and spill out. I suspect it's the ice maker but not certain. I replaced the ice maker two years ago with a new genuine GE ice maker. I've also replaced the water filter housing and tube assembly earlier this year due to slow fill on the water dispenser. My only action to resolve the leak so far was to replace the water control valve but that didn't fix it. Suggestions on what might be causing the leak? Is it the ice maker assembly or something else? Need to repair ASAP so greatly appreciate your expert guidance.

Thank you

Doc
    You could shut the water off to the unit.
    Then if it still leaks you know that it is probably a plugged defrost water drain tube.

Quote Originally Posted by denman View Post
    You could shut the water off to the unit.
    Then if it still leaks you know that it is probably a plugged defrost water drain tube.
    Thanks. Your post gave me an idea that perhaps the leak is not coming from the ice maker. It's tough to tell exactly but it appears the leak may be coming from the back of interior compartment. I will continue to diagnose but if you can think of any parts to pay particular to, please let me know.

Doc
    Check for a plugged/frozen drain tube which is under the evaporator coil at the back of the freezer.

Also it looks like they use a wire wrapped around the defrost element to prevent freezing perhaps it is bad.

Below is my standard blurb on drain clearing.
    Sounds like drain tube is plugged so that the water from the defrost cycle cannot drain into the drain pan.

I would check that it is clear.
    If plugged a turkey baster with warm water, an air compressor with low pressure or a wire can often be used to clear it.

Also check that it is not plugged with dust etc. at the drain pan end.
    You might as well clean the condenser/compressor fan and the condenser coils while you are down there.

If it looks like stuff is growing in the tube I would flush it with a 10% bleach solution. This should kill the stuff and let you flush it out. You may have to do this several times, let it sit for 15 minutes or so between flushes.

Be careful that the drip tray does not overflow and empty the drip tray after you are done.

Be sure to unplug the unit while doing this.