Thread: Electrolux burners turned on by themselves

Electrolux burners turned on by themselves

Model Number: WWEF3000KWC
    Brand: Electrolux

I am an apartment dweller. Last Saturday evening, another tenant knocked on my door to ask if something was burning. I said no. I had noticed a smell in the kitchen when I came home, but assumed someone nearby was cooking.

I checked the stove and the two back burners had heated up. I hadn't used them or touched the control knobs any time recently. (I don't cook much.) The controls were in the OFF position.

I turned the controls to the ON position and then back to the OFF position. The burners cooled down. I shut off the power to the stove at the breaker box.

I have no reason to believe anyone was in my apartment in my absence.

Maintenance man checked the stove out a couple days later and could find nothing wrong.

I emailed Electrolux and asked for technical specs and year of manufacture. (I didn't tell them what the problem was because I doubt that they would admit that such a thing was possible.) They told me that the stove was manufactured in 2009, and sent me a link to a user manual. I wanted technical specifications -- particularly an explanation of the internal circuitry.

I would appreciate any enlightenment anyone can provide.

Doc
    Sorry but I do not know what could cause this.
    With luck someone else will jump in with better info.

Below is a link to info on this stove including a wiring diagram.
    http://b2b.frigidaire.com/support/Re...&Search=Search

This is very strange because the infinite switches break both sides of the line when at Off.
    So if one side of the element is shorting out it should not cause them to heat up.
    Perhaps someone has messed with the wiring in the past?

Thanks for the link. I did look at the documents. The "Tech Data" link is identical to the "Wiring Diagram" link. Don't know if that is a typo. I am not an appliance techie.

I was wondering (and still am wondering) what this stove has in the way of a control board. I saw an earlier thread on this site about a control board problem causing a burner to heat up.

I am now considering the possibility that only one burner heated up. Here's a little more detail about what happened when I approached the stove:

I saw that two knobs -- the ones that controlled the back burners -- appeared to be in an ON position. I turned them to what I thought was the OFF position, but the ELEMENT ON indicator lit up. I then turned them back to where they had been. They clicked. They had been positioned upside down, so the click was them turning off.

I hovered my hand over each back burner and felt heat. I'm now thinking that perhaps only one had been on and that the heat I felt over the other was from my having briefly turned it on.

The heat dissipated.

I later pulled the knobs off and positioned them correctly.

I moved into this apartment in May and, as noted, don't cook much. I have a microwave. I'm not sure I EVER used the stove burners, although I did use the oven a few times. It does seem strange, though, that I had never noticed the odd knob positioning before.

Now here's a fairly simple question: in the normal course of maintenance and repair, what reason would anyone have to pull the knobs off? The only reason I can think of is that someone might want to clean them, but I am inclined to believe that anyone that fastidious would put them back on in the correct position.

Power stays off while I puzzle over this.

Thoughts?

Doc
    The problem/recall with stovetop burners turning on was Frigidaire.
    Also they were the electronic controls re: a digital readout.
    Your unit uses the more standard analogue infinite switches.

As far as putting the knobs on wrong, that could happen to anyone if the knobs are not keyed.

I would turn the power back on and see what happens.
    Could be someone turned the on element to off but that actually turned it on.

Also the tech sheet and wiring diagrams are the same with most Frigidaires.
    Last edited by denman; 10-27-2017 at 04:04 PM.