Thread: GE ice maker inlet water running and flooding

GE ice maker inlet water running and flooding

Model Number: GTS22JCPBRWW
    Brand: GE

Not original ice maker. Been working for at least 5 years. After sitting idle (lift arm up) for a few months, arm would not go down all the way and not making ice.
    Used hair dryer to insure inlet line was not frozen. Used hair dryer on back side and front of ice maker control on front.
    Arm went down, hours later, water flooded out of freezer compartment. I shut off supply at wall.
    Appears that water was coming in continuously. Researched similar problems on the Internet and did not find any instances of an inlet valve being stuck open. Most were about inlet valve not opening at all, or leaking slowley.
    Is it possible that the ice maker control is calling for water constantly? I plan to take the front cover off and put it through a cycle to see how it performs and to test the various components using the test ports.
    If water comes in contunuously without power to the valve, I assume it will be a defective valve.
    Any thoughts or experience with a valve being stuck open?

Quick update:
    With ice maker removed and ice bucket in place, I turned the water back on. No water came out, so I assumed that the valve was not stuck open.
    Reinstalled the ice maker. I forced a cycle with the ice maker and no water came out. I jumpered the water inlet valve ports on the ice maker and got a spark, only once. After that, no sparks.
    Inspected the inside of the ice maker control and no evidence of burns or damage. The ice maker still cycles.
    Removed the inlet valve and tested for continuity. Tested open. No continuity. Ordered new inlet valve.

New inlet valve fixed it.