Thread: GE bottom freezer not working after power outage

GE bottom freezer not working after power outage

Model Number: Gbs20hbsbww
    Brand: GE

Doc
    Need more info on what exactly is not working!!!
    Is the compressor on? You can usually hear it but should also be able to feel it vibrating.
    Is the condenser/compressor fan on?
    Is the evaporator/freezer fan on?
    Do the interior lights work?
    What are the freezer and fresh food compartment temperatures? Measured with a thermometer.

Also have you tried unplugging the unit for 10 minutes or so to see if that reset the electronics/control?

sorry - so when I replaced the motherboard and plugged it back in - the hum of the compressor / fridge working was very clear... and was running fine... figured things were fixed. I had pulled all shelves out to clean them, and one of the times I opened it up to put in a shelf I noticed the hum had stopped - and I wasn't hearing anything - no fan or compressor... only the light comes on. Neither the freezer or fridge has any action in it. The compressor was warm - but was not vibrating. I didn't take a temp -- but it hadn't gotten down to where it was supposed to -- ice packs in freezer were not frozen. I unplugged it since it wasn't working - so would have to plug in to try to get temps
    like I had said - I had opened the freezer to check it - and heard a noise like a shshhh in the back of the freezer a few times then it stopped
    I had unplugged it - to look at the board -- and like I said when I plugged it in it made a click sound and a noise came from inside(not inside the food area - but in the rear wall, about 1/3 of the way up) - like hummmmm for about 20 seconds and then it stopped - and when I unplugged it - another click. It would do this every time I plugged it in

Doc
    I am not sure what is going on here.

It could be that when you opened it up and the compressor and fans were off that the un it was in a defrost cycle.

I don't know - would have thought it would have come back on -- don't know why it would be defrosting - since it had only run for an hour - it was cooling down inside - but not cold cold.
    just seems really weird with the hmm for little and then nothing

Doc
    Below is a link to a service manual, hopefully it will be useful to you.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...EhtV0YxUTRrbTA

Try to find out what part is clicking.

If it is the compressor then perhaps the start device is shot.

Note that GE is infamous for blown control boards.
    On some units if the fan blows it take the board out with it. I am not sure if this applies to this unit.

Might be time to get in a pro.

You can try to unplug the J2 connector on the board and then plug it back in and see if the compressor kicks in.If it does than one of the fan motors are bad.But check start device like posted.