Thread: Fridge not cold enough

Fridge not cold enough

Model Number: RS2630
    Brand: Samsung

I have a Samsung RS2630 which has been the worst Fridge I have ever owned. I have replaced many part for the ice maker and the board for the unit. Now the issue I have is the fridge gets to about 52 degrees when on the coldest or 2nd coldest setting.
    The fridge seems warm and the sides and shelves are not cold. The compressor in the back is warm but not too hot that you cant touch it. I blew out the black fins and the fan is working non stop. The freezer temp is at about 10 degrees without leaving it in there too long to check.

I really dont want to spend any more money on this unit as it has already cost me more in service and parts then any other fridge I have owned. I still have 2 other fridges that cost less and still work much better after far more years of service. I know this isn't a good fridge but if there is a simple fix I would like to try it before I replace the whole unit.
    I tried to unplug it for a few minutes to do a reset but it never helped.

I tested it again this morning and have the same issue in the fridge. The freezer does get down to 0 degrees but the fridge remains at 54 degrees.

The ice maker hardly makes any ice so maybe the freezer isn't getting cold enough

Thanks
    Water

Doc
    Here is the fast track for this unit.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...EhtV0YxUTRrbTA

Does the compressor run all the time except when the unit goes through a defrost cycle?

What are the actual freezer and fresh food compartment temperatures?

The reason I ask is that you seem to have conflicting symptoms.
    If the freezer is at 0 then ice production should be normal.
    If it is at 0 and the compressor is cycling then it could be a problem with the damper between the freezer and fresh food sides.

If the compressor runs all the time then it could be a defrost problem, a compressor/sealed system problem.

The Freezer is between 0 and 1 degree. The fresh food was down as low as 48 degrees. Lets not worry about the ice right now unless it is part of the issue. How can I tell if the compressor is running or not. I do hear noise from the fridge

Doc
    You can usually hear it but should also be able to feel it vibrating.

The freezer temperature sounds OK.

If there is a vent between the freezer and the fresh food make sure that it is clear on both sides.

Also you should be able to feel cold air coming into the fresh food side when the evaporator/freezer fan is running.
    You may haveto hold the door switch closed

I think I found the problem while looking for the vent from the freezer tot he fridge, I see that the plate on the back of the freezer has frost all over it. I am now going to remover the cover and I bet that the coil will be frozen over. Will update.

It was frozen solid under the cover, so I am defrosting it and going to leave the cover off for a few days to see if it frost over again. I guess it is going to be something to do with the heater or some part of it. More input would be great

Thanks
    Water

More info, the fan in the Freezer above the coils was spinning very very slow. I got it spinning better, but when I put my finger on the bottom of the fam under the housing in comes in and make contact with the metal there is spins way way faster and makes a lot more noise. Maybe the fan assembly is the issue.

Doc
    Yes it does sound like the fan is toast.

I took the fan out and cleaned the motor a little and put an extra screw in the housing that was never there before but should be. It now spins much better. I have a probe inside the vents where the cold air from the freezer is brought into the fridge and it is at 34 degrees and may still drop a bit more as I only put the probe in a few minutes ago. I found the part number I need and it takes 15 days to get the part as it is not in stock from any supplier including Samsung.

Is there a way to just replace the motor or do I have to buy the whole assembly.

Happy to find the solution as I was preparing to buy a whole new set of kitchen appliances but I was hoping to wait a few more years so I can do a whole kitchen redo

Doc
    I cannot find just the fan motor.
    In fact a couple sites said that the fan assembly is discontinued so be sure that the place you get it has it in stock or can actually get it.
    Often Out of Stock ends up being not available.

If it is not available then your best bet is to take the assembly to a decent sized parts house and see if they have a motor that would do the job.
    You will probably have to do some jiggery pokery.

Quote Originally Posted by denman View Post
    I cannot find just the fan motor.
    In fact a couple sites said that the fan assembly is discontinued so be sure that the place you get it has it in stock or can actually get it.
    Often Out of Stock ends up being not available.

If it is not available then your best bet is to take the assembly to a decent sized parts house and see if they have a motor that would do the job.
    You will probably have to do some jiggery pokery.
    THanks, I contacted Samsung direct and they can get the part in about 2 weeks. I seem to have the fan working really well right now. Fridge temp this morning was 36 degrees. I just have to check in a few more days what the ice build up is like. I can feel some on the coils through the cover right now but I assume that is normal.

Doc
    Yes it is normal for some frost on the coils.

If it builds up to the point where the fan cannot pull air though them then you have a defrost problem.
    Usually the temperature in he fresh food section will rise and later the freezer temperature will also rise.