Thread: Chest Freezer Hum Click Nothing

Chest Freezer Hum Click Nothing

Model Number: MQC1552TEW01
    Brand: Maytag

Hi, I have a chest freezer in our uninsulated/unheated garage that stopped working during a recent cold snap. Does hum-click-nothing. The compressor was tested, it has continuity on all three prongs, it’s not shorted, and the amps off two of the three prong combos equals the total of the third, so the compressor seems to be fine. I have checked the current, and tried new start relays and overloads too. Still hum click nothing. Is it possible that the oil in the compressor got too cold so the compressor won’t start, and if so, how long would one need to wait for the oil to warm up (it has been highs in the upper 30s the last three days)?

Doc
    Yes it is possible that the compressor got too cold to start re:the oil in the compressor became more viscous.
    Unplug the unit and heat the compressor area with a space heater or hair dryer and give it another try or wait till it warms up more.

Note that just because the compressor windings measure OK does not mean that the compressor is OK.