Thread: Samsung Dryer no power

Samsung Dryer no power

Model Number: DV511AEEXAA
    Brand: Samsung

Hi. We have a Samsung electric dryer, model # DV511AEEXAA, approximately 7-8 years old. One day it quit working in the middle of the cycle. We hit the power button and there were no lights on the power console. Went to the house circuit breaker box to check to see if it was tripped and it was not. Cycled 2 or 3 times and went back inside. Still no power. Checked for power at the outlet. Checked good...well over 220 volts. Checked power connections on the machine. Connections were good and power was good to the machine. We did some research and suspected a thermal fuse. We disassembled the machine and checked both blower thermal fuse and the heater thermal fuse. Both had continuity and checked good. Checked the thermistor and it had 9.12 ohms. Checked the high limit thermostat and it had continuity at room temperature. We ordered a new main computer control board. Installed it. It worked. We did one load and then it didn't work. No power again. Back at square 1.

Doc
    You said you checked the power and had 220 volts but did you also check for 120 volts from each side of the line to Neutral,
    It is the 120 that runs the motor and control board.
    You may have lost Neutral.

You said " Checked the thermistor and it had 9.12 ohms"
    Is this just a typo as it should be about 10 Kohms (10,000 ohms)

thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by denman View Post
    You said you checked the power and had 220 volts but did you also check for 120 volts from each side of the line to Neutral,
    It is the 120 that runs the motor and control board.
    You may have lost Neutral.

You said " Checked the thermistor and it had 9.12 ohms"
    Is this just a typo as it should be about 10 Kohms (10,000 ohms)
    thanks for the reply when i got the reading of 9.12 i was on the 20k ohm scale .... i also checked the broken belt switch and the power switch to make sure they were operating properly and they were. yes i did check each hot to neutral and did have 120 volts ... i do appreciate your suggestion as it reminds that i have had problems in the past in my breaker box on another circuit that were intermittent before the breaker burned out . I took the whole machine apart again and double checked everything taking a close look at the power button and inspecting the computer boards . Put it back together nothing......nothing..... tried it a bunch of times then suddenly it worked again .we have used it four times so far and are holding our breath each time ...

Doc
    Sounds like there is a bad wire or connector in the unit.

With a little luck the problem will not reoccur.