Thread: Samsung DV42H5200EW Dryer HE Code

Samsung DV42H5200EW Dryer HE Code

Model Number: DV42H5200EW
    Brand: Samsung

Our Samsung dryer has been putting out an HE code for the last 6 months or so. The cycles will run but it gets really hot and puts out the HE code and beeps until you turn it off. I tested the 3 thermostats, the thermister and the element and they all check out. The thermostats are at .6 ohms, the thermistor is at 13.1k ohms at 66 degrees and the element is at 10 ohms across the contacts. Samsung support was useless for at home diagnosis. Is there any way I can diagnose a bad control board or am I missing some piece of this diagnosis puzzle? Thank you

Doc
    Here is info on this unit.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...0pXTTlDcGlXUWs

I am assuming that you have already checked the vent system and air flow and that it is OK.

There is not much you can do to check the board as appliance companies usually do not publish schematics of the boards.

Did you check to be sure that the heater element was not shorted to ground?
    If not I would check that.
    Unplug the unit and both wires from the heater.
    You have already checked the resistance and it is OK.
    But check from each side of the heating element to it's case, both should be infinite ohms.
    If not the element is grounded and the heater needs replacing.

I would also check the heater relay.
    Unplug the unit and the wires from the heater relay. ( both relays if it is a dual element unit)
    Then measure across the relay contacts.
    Should be infinite ohms.
    If a low resistance then the relay contacts are welded together.
    Either the board or the relay needs to be replaced.
    Finding just the relay may be difficult.

I tested the element to the case and there was little resistance. I ordered a new element and installed it. I saw the old element had welded itself on a part of the plate. The dryer works well so far. Thank you for your help!

Doc
    You are welcome.

And thank you for getting back to us.
    Now when others search for a similar problem they will see what worked instead of just suggestions as to what might work.

Quote Originally Posted by denman View Post
    Here is info on this unit.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...0pXTTlDcGlXUWs

I am assuming that you have already checked the vent system and air flow and that it is OK.

There is not much you can do to check the board as appliance companies usually do not publish schematics of the boards.

Did you check to be sure that the heater element was not shorted to ground?
    If not I would check that.
    Unplug the unit and both wires from the heater.
    You have already checked the resistance and it is OK.
    But check from each side of the heating element to it's case, both should be infinite ohms.
    If not the element is grounded and the heater needs replacing.

I would also check the heater relay.
    Unplug the unit and the wires from the heater relay. ( both relays if it is a dual element unit)
    Then measure across the relay contacts.
    Should be infinite ohms.
    If a low resistance then the relay contacts are welded together.
    Either the board or the relay needs to be replaced.
    Finding just the relay may be difficult.
    I have the exact same issue.....where is the heater relay located on the control board?
    So far I've replaced the heating element, thermal fuse and thermister and still the unit runs, gets hot and throws the HE faults with 7-9 minutes left in the cycle. Thanks for any info!!!

Doc
    I have the exact same issue.....where is the heater relay located on the control board?
    Goto the link inmy prvious post and it's/their location is shown in PCB_DIAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by denman View Post
    Goto the link inmy prvious post and it's/their location is shown in PCB_DIAGRAM
    Then I assume you replace the entire board then? In you opinion do you think replacing the control board would rectify my issue? The worst part about this entire deal is that this dryer is only a little over 2 years old and after calling Samsung they won't offer any help or replacement becasue its 2 months over the warranty for the control board!!!! When I replaced the heating element the thermal fuse was also bad so I replaced it as well........still was getting the HE fault after running w/heat for 35-38 minutes. Yesterday I opened it back up and re-checked the element and thermal fuse and both showed good, I tested the wire harness and it was also good, I had a new thermister and just for the heck of it although the one in the machine tested good I replaced it. Still the same issues.
    Last edited by hazer67; 08-31-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Doc
    Then I assume you replace the entire board then?
    Yes

In you opinion do you think replacing the control board would rectify my issue?
    I would do a little more troubleshooting.

Have you tried different cycles?
    Does the unit regulate the temperature on lower temperature cycles?
    Have you run the unit with it disconnected from the vent, to ensure that it is not a partially plugged vent?
    Is the interior of the machine clean especially the blower wheel.?

To see if the heater relay contacts are welded together.
    Unplug the unit and the wires at 1P (heater relay contacts/output then measure across he contacts at the board. It should be infinite resistance. If 0 ohms then the relay contacts are shorted and the board needs replacing.
    Note that the above test does not mean the board is good as it may have electronic control problems.

At the regular setting where the unit dries until it senses the clothes are dry is when this happens.....on a timed cycle it throws the error within 4-5 minutes. Vents are completely cleaned out. We did dry 3 loads this weekend and on the regular setting and it will dry as it should right up until the last 6-8 minutes then it throws the He fault and stops running.......and the clothes are completely dry at this point. I asked a supply house locally and they told me I need to replace the entire board, I cant just replace they relays......is this true? I'm gueesing by the look of the board that it is. I just hate to spend the $100 plus on the board if its something else. Thanks for all your help this far!!

Doc
    I cant just replace they relays......is this true?

Sort of.
    The relays can be replaced but you need desoldering/soldering skill.
    Also finding the correct relay can be difficult.

Another problem is that you have to confirm that the relay is bad as it may be the electronics controlling the relay that are the problem.

Would replacing the control board solve the relay and the electronics controlling the relay issue or are you saying they could be coming from elsewhere??

Doc
    I am assuming that you have done the diagnostic tests in my earlier posts and all of them gave the correct results.
    Therefore a bad board is the most likely cause.

Replacing the board would fix a relay and it's controlling electronics problem.

But there is no guarantee that it will fix the unit as it may be due to something off the board.
    the board is just the best bet.

Perhaps try to find a vendor that will let you return the board if it does not solve your problem.

I really appreciate all your responses!! Thanks alot