Thread: Whirlpool fridge light won't turn off

Whirlpool fridge light won't turn off

Model Number: GX2SHBXVY02
    Brand: Whirlpool

Please disregard the post below. The problem was just the light bulb. I hadn't realized that both lights came on even if you only opened one door. How embarrassing.

I have a a Whirlpool fridge model no. GX2SHBXVY02 (two French doors with the freezer on the bottom). Since I have two doors I also have two light switches and two light bulbs.

The light on the right hand side works fine. If only the right hand door is open (and therefore only the right hand fridge light is on) and and I push the right hand light switch closed, the right hand fridge light goes out and the numbers for the freezer and fridge temperature display on the control board also go out.

The left side does not work the same. If only the left hand door is open (and therefore only the left hand fridge light is on) and and I push the left hand light switch closed, the numbers for the freezer and fridge temperature display on the control board go out but the left hand fridge light stays on. Since manually closing the left hand light switch makes the numbers on the control panel go out, it seems that the light switch is still working (at least to some degree) but it is not shutting off the light.

I hadn’t noticed this until recently because the left hand light bulb had burned out a few months ago (probably because it never shut off). However, I replaced the control board this week and when doing so I removed the two light bulbs so I wouldn’t accidentally break them. When I put everything back together I, by chance, switched the left and right light bulbs and then noticed the problem.
    Last edited by Janice6650; 06-13-2018 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Solution found