Thread: New Icemaker - No Power

New Icemaker - No Power

Model Number: D7824702
    Brand: Amana

Hi, My icemaker quit working in my Amana Refrigerator TZ22RL. I had frozen water in the icemaker and it wouldn't cycle. I thawed out the freezer and emptied the water from the icemaker. I then turned up the freezer and waited a couple hours to see what would happen. The same thing, frozen water with no cycling. I replaced the icemaker with an identical new one. The new icemaker model number is IM900. Now, the new icemaker isn't working "and" I'm not getting water to the icemaker. I performed a test on the water valve for continuity with an ohm meter.....nothing. I then used the ohm meter and tested the test points such as; L-M , L-H, T-H, N-V with and without the door switch being open........ again nothing. I am getting 120v at the junction box at the rear of the refrigerator. The refrigerator is on a separate 120amp breaker in my homes electrical panel. The icemaker itself was very simple to replace due to being exactly as the one being replaced. Everything was basically plug and play. Is it possible that without the water valve having continuity the ice maker would have no power? I will change the water valve A.S.A.P. Any idea's, thoughts of what I should do next? Your help would be most appreciated. Thanks, Ray

I decided to get a better ohm meter yesterday just in case the one I have isn't working properly.......... it wasn't. I performed some tests once again, the results are as follows;
    L-N = 110v
    L-H = 71 ohms
    I also checked voltage from the female plug in the rear of the freezer;
    Black - White wires = 110v
    Black - Brown wires 119v
    I also physically poured in approx. 5oz of water in the icemaker........ it's been an hour and the ice is frozen, but no cycle. I know I need to replace the water valve which I will A.S.A.P. Everything is so straight forward making it hard to understand why the icemaker won't cycle.

Did you order the ice maker from our online store? What part number did you order?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Hi, Thanks for the reply...... I purchased it locally..... Model #IM900 also called D7824706Q. I swapped out the new icemaker for another one and installed it. I also installed a new water valve and door switch. I performed a water valve test L - V which worked great. I also performed a voltage test L - N which showed 115v. The water is now frozen, but the icemaker is not cycling. I tried to force the icemaker to cycle T - H by using a piece of 14ga shielded copper strand wire. Not cycling. Two new icemakers, new water valve and switch and still not cycling.......... At my wits end?? Ray

Is the wiring harness on the new ice maker the same as the old ice maker? It looks like the IM900 is an aftermarket ice maker that is supposed to replace Whirlpool manufacture part # D7824706Q.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Yes...... It plugs in exactly the same way as the old one. All I can figure is that the internal connections to the motor is different. Thanks for the help, Ray

I'm going to return this second icemaker today. I would purchase one from your online store, but it states no electrical parts can be returned along with anything installed. Plus there may be fee's added. Thanks, Ray

Keep in mind with stores that return installed parts, that you might not be receiving a new part when you order from them.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Thanks for the reply...... I have a OEM D7824706Q Whirlpool icemaker coming either tomorrow or Monday to my dealer here in my area. I'll keep you posted once I get it installed. Again, thanks for your help. Ray

Strike THREE! This is one of those "no brainer" installations that has me totally puzzled to put it mildly. This third icemaker is a OEM whirlpool D7824706Q. There is a model number printed on a sticker that reads W10190978. Due to not seeing the D7824706Q number, I was assured that this is an OEM part. After doing some research it appears to be. The bottom line with three installations of new icemakers is that I can't get them to cycle. I know I'm getting power to the ice maker because I did the (L - N) test. I've done the jumper test (T - H) on all three in I couldn't force a start cycle. The new water valve works flawlessly when I jump the (V - L). I self primed the ice tray with approx. 5 - 6oz. of water and after 24 hours nothing but a frozen brick. The ONLY thing I haven't replaced is the wiring harness, simply due to getting power. As I said, it has me totally puzzled and believe me, this is a nice word compared to what I really feel..... Thanks again for taking the time in helping me get through this, should have been, simple install. Ray
    Last edited by Ray&Paula; 10-26-2014 at 09:45 AM.

If jumping T-H gets no results then you must have a power supply problem. Some ice maker wiring harnesses have a built in fuse, check to make sure that fuse has continuity.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Hello, I have a similar problem. I have a Whirlpool refrigerator model ED5FHAXVS03 which is a 9 year old fridge. The Ice Maker stopped working, so I purchased a new one. After trying to run all the tests on it, I noticed that the motor wasn't running. I then tested the volts coming out from the side wall and noticed that I am only getting 3.6 Volts. Does that means that I need to replace Ice Maker control board?