Thread: Garage Kit search for Whirlpool refrigerator

Garage Kit search for Whirlpool refrigerator

Model Number: ET8FTEXSQ01
    Brand: Whirlpool

Hi, been trying to find a “Garage Kit” for our Whirlpool model ET8FTEXSQ01 refrigerator with no luck so far. From what I can decipher, it was manufactured in 2007. The serial number is EU3709024. Any help would be greatly appreciated as we recently lost contents of freezer after a cold spell. The unit runs perfectly otherwise.

Thank you.
    -Dan

Doc
    As far as i know the only kit available is 5303918301. This is the Frigidaire part, you would have to do some jiggery pokery to fit/connect it in your unit.

Another possibility would be to get a plug in thermostat. The type that plugs into a wall outlet and then you plug into it.
    It would have to have a 15 amp rating and heat/cool settings.
    You would use the cool setting to shut the output off below a certain temperature.
    You could set it for about 40 degrees F.
    Below this temperature the fridge cannot come on, so the defrost does not come on which added heat to your freezer and melted your food.

This will not work if the cold snaps last too long as the freezer will eventually thaw.
    Also if you are in and out of the unit (especially the freezer) all the time.

The problem is the defrost heater coming on and then the compressor not coming on right after defrost so heat builds up in the freezer.
    So killing defrost during cold snaps will keep the freezer frozen.
    Another possibility would be to wire in a switch to kill power to the ADC so that it never programs a defrost cycle.
    Problem here is that you have to remember manually turn the defrost off during a cold snap and back on when the weather improves.
    Forget this and you again will loose the food in the freezer.

Unfortunately I do not have access to a wiring diagram so cannot be of further help.

The easiest fix is to unplug the unit during cold snaps but again you are relying on your memory to plug it back in once temperatures rises.