Thread: GE Main Board Replaced, now interior fan not working

Question GE Main Board Replaced, now interior fan not working

Model Number: GSS 22KGMC
    Brand: GE

For the past 6 months or so our GE side by side Refrigerator GSS22KGMC interior fan has been changing speed and making a low "whooo" sound (the ghost noises referred to in other posts) but would then rev up and run normally. Referigerator and Freezer temps were normal. Then yesterday the fan was running at very slow speed and temp in Refrig rose to 45. Using your excellent guide, I purchased the main board GE part # WR55X10942 and installed it last night. Now the fan does not run at all and Refrig temp is now 50 and freezer at 25 degrees. Serial number is FD257492 and instructions for cutting white wire on 9 pin connector do not apply to this serial number prefix. Why is fan not running after new board replaced - fan did run with the old board, but fan speed was erratic. It even got up to normal speed for a short time yesterday before I installed the new main board. Now no fan at all. Should I cut the white wire on the 9 pin connector?? Thanks for your excellent site - great "how to" video.

Does your refrigerator have a wire going to pin 2 on the 9 pin connector? If it does it will need to be cut. We have see this before where even though the serial number wasn't listed, the refrigerator still had a wire going to pin 2. Let me know what you find.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cutpin2wire.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	81
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    Does your refrigerator have a wire going to pin 2 on the 9 pin connector? If it does it will need to be cut. We have see this before where even though the serial number wasn't listed, the refrigerator still had a wire going to pin 2. Let me know what you find.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cutpin2wire.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	81
    Yes, there is a white wire attached to pin 2 on the 9 pin connector. I will cut it and let you know. This will start the fan? I suppose I will have to defrost the freezer - I am sure that without the fan running that there must be frost build up on the coils. I did replace the defrost coil myself about a year ago, so it should be ok. Water dispenser works, ice maker working. So it's just getting the fan going. Will let you know how it goes. THANKS! Len

If the wire going to pin 2 is not cut, the refrigerator will think that it has cooled down to the set temperature when it is actually much warmer. After you cut the wire, the control board will read the temperature correctly and start cooling down to the correct set temperature. Make sure the refrigerator is unplugged while you are working on it.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Wire on pin 2 cut, Ref does not start.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    If the wire going to pin 2 is not cut, the refrigerator will think that it has cooled down to the set temperature when it is actually much warmer. After you cut the wire, the control board will read the temperature correctly and start cooling down to the correct set temperature. Make sure the refrigerator is unplugged while you are working on it.
    Ryan,
    I cut the wire on pin 2 of the 9 pin connector as instructed. Plugged in Refrigerator and turned controls to coldest. Referigerator compressor and interior fan do not start. Lights working. Ice dispenser and water dispenser both working ok. Now what?
    Len

Update: Ryan, I spliced the wire from pin 2 on the 9 pin connector and compressor restarted, but not interior fan. I am going to try and re-install the old board now to see if fan starts - I am losing my frozen food! Help. Len

Update 2: Ryan, I reinstalled the old board and compressor started and so did the interior fan. Interior fan is running at erratic speeds as before - sometimes at full speed and other times running very slowly with "whooo" sound. Any suggestions? Len

It sounds like the control board you received is probably defective. Contact our customer service if you purchased the part from us, or contact whoever you purchased the part from to see about warrantying out the defective part for a good one.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Ryan,
    Thank you for your phone call. At your suggestion, I returned the board to the parts store here and they replaced it with a new one.
    I installed the new board and left the wire on pin 2 of the 9 pin connector connected. Powered on and the compressor started but no interior fan, same as before. Powered down, removed wire on pin 2 and same as before - compressor does not start and interior fan not running. Lights on, ice & water dispenser working. Left in this condition for 45 minutes. Nothing.
    I plan to re-install the OLD board just to get the freezer cold again to save the frozen food. Compressor runs and fan runs at erratic speeds with old board. Freezer did drop to 0 degrees and ref still at 50 with old board.
    Please advise, thank you, Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len PBG View Post
    Ryan,
    Thank you for your phone call. At your suggestion, I returned the board to the parts store here and they replaced it with a new one.
    I installed the new board and left the wire on pin 2 of the 9 pin connector connected. Powered on and the compressor started but no interior fan, same as before. Powered down, removed wire on pin 2 and same as before - compressor does not start and interior fan not running. Lights on, ice & water dispenser working. Left in this condition for 45 minutes. Nothing.
    I plan to re-install the OLD board just to get the freezer cold again to save the frozen food. Compressor runs and fan runs at erratic speeds with old board. Freezer did drop to 0 degrees and ref still at 50 with old board.
    Please advise, thank you, Len
    Ryan, Thanks for taking my call this evening. As you mentioned, I should probably call a service technician as we have run out of options / suggestions. With the Refrigerator at 10 years old, it's just not worth it. It's in otherwise good condition and sad that we couldn't keep it going with what seemed to be a simple fix.
    Len

Ryan, Thanks for taking my call this evening. As you mentioned, I should probably call a service technician as we have run out of options / suggestions. With the Refrigerator at 10 years old, it's just not worth it. It's in otherwise good condition and sad that we couldn't keep it going with what seemed to be a simple fix.
    Len
    Ryan - update: Fan inside refrigerator section has now revved up to normal speed but is now very noisy - like a motorboat. Temps in Freezer and Refrigerator now normal. Should I consider replacing fan unit and can you send me instructions and a part number on how to replace fan. Again, thank you for your continued advise.
    Len

Ryan - update: Fan inside refrigerator section has now revved up to normal speed but is now very noisy - like a motorboat. Temps in Freezer and Refrigerator now normal. Should I consider replacing fan unit and can you send me instructions and a part number on how to replace fan. Again, thank you for your continued advise.
    Len
    Is this with the new control board or the old one? We do recommend replacing the fan motor at the same time as the control board when you are having varying fan speed issues. We see that failed fan motors can cause the control board to go bad.

They list two fan motors for your model (most use the one with the sensor):

Evaporator Fan Motor - Part # PD00001062 (mfg # WR60X10074)

Evaporator Fan Motor - Part # PD00000986 (mfg # WR60X10185)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Ryan,

The fan is running normal speed with the original (old) board! But now it makes a "motor boat" sound. Thanks for the part numbers on the fan motor replacement. Is installation difficult? Can you send me installation instructions for fan replacement, thanks.
    Len

Replacement of the fan motor on these varies depending on the model, but most are pretty similar. Unplug the refrigerator, and remove the bottom back panel in the freezer. If you still can't see the fan motor, then you will need to remove the panel above it. Sometimes this will require removing the ice maker auger to gain access to it.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com