Thread: GE Profile Icemaker kaput?

GE Profile Icemaker kaput?

Model Number: 162D7991G004
    Brand: GE

Has stopped making ice. Water still works. Appears to be an '05 model. Does this seem a likely icemaker replacement issue?

MrBill,

The model number that you posted isn't correct. Can you double check it for me please? You should find it on a tag inside the refrigerator section.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

GE Profile dishwasher kaput

OK...after some exploring found it on the bottom right inside front door on facia. MN - TFX24PRXB - BB, SN - VM238373...appears to be a 95 model installed new in new house in '96. Getting water at water dispenser but no ice. No water in cube mold/tray. GE said it might be a frozen line or valve? Not sure where to look to address that?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    MrBill,

The model number that you posted isn't correct. Can you double check it for me please? You should find it on a tag inside the refrigerator section.

The ice maker or the water valve could be causing your problem. Sometimes when the water valve fails it will slowly seep/leak water and it will freeze the line in the freezer that feeds the ice maker (I like to remove the line from the water valve blow through it to make sure it is clear). If this is the case, you should thaw the line and then replace the water valve to prevent the line from re-freezing. Before working on the refrigerator, make sure it is unplugged. To test the water valve, you can try swapping the wires on the water valve around. When you do this, pressing on the water dispenser paddle on the front will cause water to fill into the ice maker. If you get water, then the valve is good. If you don't, then the valve is bad. Make sure to change the wires back around when you are done doing this. Other ways you can test the water valve is by using a multimeter to test the ohms on the coil and voltage going to the coil from the ice maker or by manually applying power to the coil using a test cord (be careful because this involves live power and you can get electrocuted). Since the machine is getting older, I would personally replace both the ice maker and water valve. Let me know how the repair goes for you.

These are the parts for your refrigerator:

Water Inlet Valve - Part # PD00000995 (mfg # WR57X10051)

Ice Maker Assembly - Part # PD00000998 (mfg # WR30X10093)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

So I received the inlet valve and installed but still no water in cube mold. Before I order the icemaker kit I thought I'd check the line for freezing? I assume this is done internally ....take off the back panel inside the freezer box to access the line? Have to take off the icemaker also?

The best way to check if the line is frozen is to unplug the refrigerator, and remove the line at the water valve that goes to the ice maker. Blow through this line. If you can blow through it, then the line is free and clear. If you can't, then the line is frozen and you will have to access the line from the freezer to thaw it out. Let me know what you find.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Oye! Water filler tube is clear...does not appear to ever have been frozen but did have some gunk collected at the elbow as it goes into back of Fridge. Took the new inlet valve and reversed the connections to the wires that were working to the water dispenser and hooked them up to ice-maker line....still no water supply (had the line off the back of the fridge and running into a bucket). I have checked the feed line for the ice-maker (goes to a splice in the whole house RO system ) and cant find any blockage. The only option left is to replace the ice-maker but I don't think its getting a water supply. I assume the water dispenser and ice-maker are supplied by the same line. Maybe got a bad inlet valve from y'all?

Is the water pressure to the refrigerator good? We see alot of problems with RO systems supplying too low of water pressure for the refrigerator to work correctly. So when you had the valve spraying into a bucket, it sprayed water out of the refrigerator dispenser side of the valve, and then when you switched the wires around no water came out of the side that goes to the ice maker?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com