Thread: Side by Side Kenmore works fine but will not shut down.

Side by Side Kenmore works fine but will not shut down.

Model Number: 106.51133210
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Help! Everything seems to work OK. Freezer temp reaches 10 below and colder but unit will not shut off. I swapped out the main control board. Installed new damper. checked thermistor OK (21k at 0 deg.). All fans working properly. Defrost cycle works properly all components checked and appear OK. Defrost bi-metal control checked and seems within specs. I checked this in a working freezer and it seemed to close at approx. -10 F. Don't know what else to check except the freezer door panel control board. Thanks guys.

Don't know if this forum allows directing replies. If it does, this is for denman and his reply to matthews92174. I would really appreciate getting a full spec sheet on this Kenmore unit to help me diagnose what's wrong with it. I hope something like this is available. Thanks so much for your help.

A question also. How does the door control panel communicate the temp that you set with the buttons to the main board down below.? ( Like the freezer setting... maybe 0, or +3, or -2 etc.)

Does the main board compare that setting with the signal coming from the freezer thermistor?? And does it then start or stop the compressor??

I don't have the proper info to check this or a spec sheet diagnostic sequence to help. Does anyone have access to a test sheet for this model Kenmore?

Doc
    I do not have a tech sheet for this unit, try going to www.appliancejunk.com
    There is a person (dab147315) that seems to be exceptional in finding tech info.

I could not find my earlier post to matthews92174

I am not sure how it controls the temperature.
    Looking at the boards I think the control board has the relay that controls the compressor.
    If the thermistor goes to the display board then that is doing the comparison and then telling the control board to start/stop the compressor.
    If the thermistor goes to the control board then I would think that it is what is doing the comparison and the display board sends the set temperature to the control board.

Quote Originally Posted by denman View Post
    I do not have a tech sheet for this unit, try going to www.appliancejunk.com
    There is a person (dab147315) that seems to be exceptional in finding tech info.

I could not find my earlier post to matthews92174

I am not sure how it controls the temperature.
    Looking at the boards I think the control board has the relay that controls the compressor.
    If the thermistor goes to the display board then that is doing the comparison and then telling the control board to start/stop the compressor.
    If the thermistor goes to the control board then I would think that it is what is doing the comparison and the display board sends the set temperature to the control board.
    Hey, thanks for the response and the reference to this site. I will try them now.

I DO have the schematic and the wiring diagram with test points for this unit (In case anybody needs them), and you are right in that both thermistors, freezer and fridge, go directly to the motherboard. There is a comm cable from the door panel control board that goes directly to the MB.

I will try your suggestion and let you know how I make out.

Thanks again for your help.

Btw the comm cable is connected and working. I can start and shut off the compressor using the keys on the door control panel!!