Thread: Freezer coils/condenser still freezing-over causing warm fridge.Thermostat chang

Freezer coils/condenser still freezing-over causing warm fridge.Thermostat chang

Model Number:
    Brand: Brand

Whirlpool GX5SHTXVA00 s/n KW1504332

About 6 years ago it started freezing-up the condenser/radiator/coils in the freezer section which also regulate the fridge section and caused the fridge to become too warm. I used a heat gun on the back wall of the freezer to melt the frozen condenser behind it, and then a turkey baster to suck the water out of the collection pan at the back bottom. Had to do that about once or twice a year.

I replaced the thermostat a couple months ago and siliconed over the wire nuts and everything as per installation tutorials. A couple weeks ago it froze over again, so I defrosted it again and then it sort of happened again right after. So I set the freezer section to only 1 out of 7, and now it seems ok but might happen again it seems. Basically the freezer is still very cold on "1" because the coils I think are slightly frozen-over and keeping the coldness in the freezer. I have the fridge set to 4 of 7 and seems to be cold enough - I think we previously had the fridge at only 1 in order to help this problem but 4 seems to be doing ok for now

Doc
    Basically the freezer is still very cold on "1" because the coils I think are slightly frozen-over and keeping the coldness in the freezer
    I am not sure what you mean by frozen over but if you mean that the are clogged solid with frost/ice then your statement is incorrect.
    If the evaporator fan cannot move air through the coils then the freezer will warm up.

Also that you had to use a turkey baster to empty the defrost tray under the evaporator coils could mean the the drain hose/fitting is plugged.
    The defrost water should drain into the drip pan under the unit.

I cannot find any tech data on this unit so cannot be very helpful.
    I would check the temperatures in the sections.
    The freezer should be about 0 degrees F.
    The fresh food section in the 36 to 40 degrees F range.

I am assuming that the compressor is cycling.
    Check that the condenser/compressor fan is running when the compressor is on.
    Check that the condenser coils and the fan blades and any vents to the machine compartment are clean.

the turkey baster I simply used to suck the water out of the collection pan, the hose is not clogged I checked. either turkey baster or sponge is how I remove the melted water.