Thread: excessive moisture

excessive moisture

Model Number: KUDSO3CTSS3
    Brand: KitchenAid

My dishwasher is emitting excessive moisture out the vent at the top of the door during drying cycle. The moisture accumulates under the countertop and drips down the front of the dishwasher. this has just started have never noticed it in the past. Why so much moisture (steam?)

There is a vent in the door that opens at the end of the cycle to release the steam. If it is open during the cycle, then you could have something blocking it, the vent could be broken, or the control board could be bad. You will need to shut off the power to the dishwasher, take the door apart, and inspect the vent. The vent is #5 in the attached diagram. Let me know what you find.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ventdiagram.jpg  
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

The motor has a resistance of about 1200 Ohms. The diaphram seal on the motor is in the open position. Is it normally closed or open? I cannot seem to move the seal in or out. Is the motor stuck on?

I don't think the ohm reading is going to tell you whether or not it is functioning correctly. The wax motor on the vent works differently than a normal motor. The wax motor pushes out a plunger as power is applied to it and the wax inside heats up, and when no power is being applied to it, the wax cools off and the plunger should return to its normal position.

This is the vent for your model:

Vent Assembly - 8572611
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Update: I took a look at one of the vents. It has two rubber pieces, a larger one in the center that is on a spring. That one should be normally closed, and you should be able to push that open, and it should close on its own. The smaller rubber seal part on the wax motor should be open about 1/8", and then the wax motor should close that when power is applied to it. I will try to post up a pic later.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

I understand what you are saying. My vent is exactly as you said. How can I tell if the wax motor is closing the vent. When during the cycle is the vent open and closed.
    I think the vent should be open when in the dry cycle. I checked mine in the clean cycle and it looks like it is open and moisture is building up. Do the wax motors go bad. It would be difficult to check to see if it getting power during the clean cycle. Is it worth replacing to see if it fixes it.
    Last edited by bobtam; 10-29-2012 at 06:51 PM.

You will need to grab the service sheet behind the bottom panel of the dishwasher. It should have an area that says what parts are activated during which parts of the cycles. You should also be able to put the dishwasher into a test mode. That will probably be the easiest way to see if the vent it working properly.

Here is a pic of the vent. I put a light in the bottom of it, so you can see how far the vent is open on the wax motor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vent.jpg  
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

And to answer your other questions. Yes, wax motors can fail. And it's up to you if you think it is worth fixing or not. I would say replacing the vent is much cheaper than buying a new dishwasher.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com