Thread: Whirlpool Gas Dryer motor overheating - shuts-off

Whirlpool Gas Dryer motor overheating - shuts-off

Model Number: 7MSGDS800MQ1
    Brand: Whirlpool

Hello,

I have a Whirlpool Gas Dryer model 7MSGDS800MQ1 which has the problem of shutting off after about 15 to 20 minutes of operating. I gather that it is the motor that overheats and the heat sensor safety switch is shutting down the power for protection. While the motor is off, the timer continues to run and after about 15 minutes of cooling down, the motor starts up again.

I have replaced the motor with an original brand-new part and the issue is still happening.

Thinking that the drum might not be spinning freely, which could be causing the motor to overheat, I have also replaced the drum rollers, the idler pulley, the belt, the blower wheel, the rear drum felt seal, the drum plastic slide (bearing ring support) and the front panel felt seal. All this made no difference.

To discard the possibility of the motor getting overheated due to an excessive heat from the gas burner, I replaced the high limit thermostat and the cycling thermostat. Still, the issue is occurring.

I have invested quite a bit replacing all these parts without any positive results but now its all about the challenge of fixing the darn thing!

Any ideas on what to try next will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

Doc
    Check the power at the terminal strip in the unit.

I do not have a wiring diagram for this unit but most units use the L1 side of the line for the motor.
    So that would be Black to White
    Do this with the unit off and running.

I looked at a parts breakdown and there should be a seal on the back side of the blower this prevents hot air from blowing back onto the motor.
    Check that it is there.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by denman View Post
    Check the power at the terminal strip in the unit.

I do not have a wiring diagram for this unit but most units use the L1 side of the line for the motor.
    So that would be Black to White
    Do this with the unit off and running.
    This is the connector, on which wires should I be checking the power? I would check for amps and voltage, right?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dryermotor.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	789

Quote Originally Posted by denman View Post
    I looked at a parts breakdown and there should be a seal on the back side of the blower this prevents hot air from blowing back onto the motor.
    Check that it is there.
    I assume that this is the seal that you are referring to. It is there, although a bit damaged. Could this be causing the motor to overheat?

Name:	dryerseal.jpg 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	788

Doc
    No the connector I would use is at the back of the unit where the line cord connects. It is much easier and could show a problem but is not 100%.

Yes that seal can cause overheating. Hot air is blown back at the motor which heats it up.

Hello again,

I replaced the seal that goes at the back of the wheel blower but it did not fix the issue so we can discard the hot air getting to the motor.

I checked which are the wires that run the power to the motor on the connector in a diagram that someone kindly provided to me (file attached). These are the BLUE and WHITE wires. I checked the voltage on these and it is 128 V, which I assume is acceptable? I also checked the power on each of the wires and I get around 8 amps on each:

Name:	dryermotoramps.jpg 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	791

This measure was done with the motor connected to the blower wheel but without the belt that goes to the drum.

Given that the motor is rated to be 6.0 amps, would the 8 amp reading be acceptable?

I will appreciate any feedback on all this. Thanks,

7MSGDS800MQ1 Wiring Sheet-3979703-Rev A.pdf

Doc
    Your high current draw points to the start winding always being on.
    That would definitely overheat the motor.

But you replaced the motor and the odds of getting a replacement motor with the same problem as the original are very slim but stranger things have happened.
    I am assuming that this unit used to run OK for you at it's current location.
    If not then there are several other possibilities including someone else messing with the wiring.

128 volts seems a little high, check it at a 120 volt wall outlet if it is the same or close then it is what it is.

Thanks again for your latest reply.

An update on the issue, I tried running the cycle on the dryer with no hot air, only cool air, and the motor ran continuously for 90 minutes without stopping due to overheating. With the hot air, it only runs for about 20 minutes before the thermal safety switch shuts the motor off.

Given this, I assume that we can rule out the motor being bad or the current/voltage being the causes of the issue. Correct?

Would there be a reason as to why the motor overheats when running the cycle with the hot air? I again checked the seal that goes between the rear motor shaft and the blower wheel to protect hot air from getting to the motor and it is good.

Any ideas?
    Thank you.

Doc
    Have you checked your vent including the louvers on the outside of the house?
    My thought here is that if it is partially plugged it could be allowing a heat build up in the unit.

Yes, I did check this. The duct going from the dryer to the wall is only about 3 feet long so it is very easy to remove and clean.
    Any other suggestions?

Doc
    Check the holes at the back of the drum to make sure they are clean.
    Also check your lint filter.
    Sometimes these can get coated with fabric softener residue and reduce air flow.

If you can move the dryer a couple inches away from the wall and give it a try.

It does look like there is a heat build up in the dryer all I can think of is that either it is not getting rid of the heat from the burner fast enough or there is not enough cool air entering the cabinet.

Clutching at straws now!!!