Thread: GE French Door Icemaker stopped working

Patient

GE French Door Icemaker stopped working

Model Number: PFSS6PKXBSS
    Brand: GE

HI, I have a GE Refrigerator model # PFSS6PKXBSS, Serial# HS551788. It has a Samsung ice maker model# DA97-05422A. This ice maker has not worked well in a long time and we are not big ice users. However, recently I removed the ice tray for cleaning and the ice maker never resumed making ice when I put it back in. The GE site is no help because they show a different icemaker in their ‘reset’ video. How do I KNOW the icemaker needs replacing? Is there a procedure to check? Also, I see a tab in the front, top section of the icemaker. Does that need to be released to remove it? I’ve tried gently but it won’t budge.

When your ice maker stopped working, did the ice already present inside the ice dispenser tray start to melt or did the existing ice stay frozen, but ice maker just stopped making new ice? I have the same french door refrigerator where the ice maker is inside the refrigerator door and my freezer is a drawer at the bottom. My ice maker stopped working but I don't believe the temperature in the ice maker box is getting cold enough to start making ice as my ice started to melt even though my freezer drawer was still staying cold. Is it possible that if the ice maker is not operating correctly, the refrigerator than stops blowing cold air into the ice maker box area or is there a fan that is out that may not be correctly blowing cold air into the ice maker box and thus the ice maker does not start?

If you have still in your ice cube tray and it is staying cold enough (unlike mine that is melting) then yes it is highly likely the ice maker. You are on the right track in which you need to release the tab down and pull outward. It will come. You will need to remove the panel at the bottom right first though to disconnect the power. There was another post that if your frig was made before 2008 that the control board was making issues with the ice maker so that could be another problem depending the age.

Patient
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter71 View Post
    When your ice maker stopped working, did the ice already present inside the ice dispenser tray start to melt or did the existing ice stay frozen, but ice maker just stopped making new ice? I have the same french door refrigerator where the ice maker is inside the refrigerator door and my freezer is a drawer at the bottom. My ice maker stopped working but I don't believe the temperature in the ice maker box is getting cold enough to start making ice as my ice started to melt even though my freezer drawer was still staying cold. Is it possible that if the ice maker is not operating correctly, the refrigerator than stops blowing cold air into the ice maker box area or is there a fan that is out that may not be correctly blowing cold air into the ice maker box and thus the ice maker does not start?

If you have still in your ice cube tray and it is staying cold enough (unlike mine that is melting) then yes it is highly likely the ice maker. You are on the right track in which you need to release the tab down and pull outward. It will come. You will need to remove the panel at the bottom right first though to disconnect the power. There was another post that if your frig was made before 2008 that the control board was making issues with the ice maker so that could be another problem depending the age.
    Thanks folks, had the icemaker replaced