Thread: Lock Cycle Fault

Whirlpool WTW4850XQ1 Lid Lock Fault

I have a Whirlpool WTW4850XQ1 that has been acting a little sketchy as of lately. First of all, it began not wanting to show done when I would open the lid, so at various times I would have to unplug and allow it to reset to start a new load. Then it began not wanting to finish the load, i.e. it would stop during the spin cycle and I would have to do a drain and spin to finish it. Now to top it all off, it goes into a "Lid Lock Fault" when the spin cycle comes on.

I have fully replaced the locking mechanism and I have physically checked all connection and verified they are correctly seated.

I have accessed the Technical manual and have performed the following manual tests:

• Lid Lock – Passed
    • Cold Valve – Passed
    • Hot Valve – Passed
    • Drain – Passed
    • Low Spin – “Lid Lock Fault” comes on during the test and cancels all tests. I have to unplug it to reset the controls and start again.
    • High Spin – Passed
    • Gentle Agitation – Passed
    • Heavy Agitation – Passed

It failing on the Low Spin test also causes it to fail when sensing the load, and thus not being able to wash. I have verified the resistance in the motor windings and all are within specs. The only thing that really concerns me is that the 45΅F start capacitor reads 31΅F but in reading the resistance across the capacitor causes the resistance to rise steadily. I am not very experienced with capacitors, so …. Does this mean the capacitor is my problem? The next step in the manual says to replace the main control board. I am willing to do this, but I want to verify that I have exhausted all other possibilities before I do. Any input is greatly appreciated. I can add videos of the tests if needed.
    Last edited by wiredhot; 12-29-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Talking

Update: It has been repaired!

After much cussing, fussing, head scratching, and screaming. I replaced the capacitor with an aftermarket one, with the same results. I then went through the main control tests and discovered that the tachometer was not picking up the drum. I took the shift assembly off and inspected it, the plastic cover for the optical sensor that acts as a tach on it was extremely dirty. I cleaned it and allowed it to dry, then ran the failed test again only to pass. I then ran a full automatic test and passed all sections. Lastly I have reassembled everything and calibrated it. Now the Laundry Monster may be vanquished.
    Last edited by wiredhot; 12-30-2019 at 08:22 PM.