Thread: GE monogram ZISB48DC Defrost Timer and Thermostat location help 39F freezer 54F fridg

GE monogram ZISB48DC Defrost Timer and Thermostat location help 39F freezer 54F fridg

Model Number:
    Brand: Brand

Model Number: ZISB48DC
    Brand: GE

Hi Board, I'm new to the community and this is a desperate plea for help to get my 80 year old mother-in-law's fridge working. She needs a large fridge to host meals for our extended family.

As a start, I need the location for defrost timer And defrost timer on a GE monogram 48 refrigerator model ZISB48DC year 1999

• unplugged the fridge for a full day just to get a baseline.
    • cleaned all the coils and fins which were pretty bad.
    • Plugged back in for and after several days came back to mother-in-laws and it was running 39 freezer, 54 fridge
    • Compressor on top was running a little hot-- I could touch it but it was bearably hot
    • I bought a piercing valve and installed a service port and it was indeed low on freon.
    • I added 134a and tested it with AC gauge and getting good vacuum.
    • The evap fan runs. The compressor is slightly warm. Before it was running hotter- I could touch it but it was bearably hot
    • After the freon, I was disappointed to find no improvement in the temperature.
    • There is some freon activity -- The compressor runs constantly and does not shut off.
    • Post freon refill the compressor now has some a 1/8"-1/4" layer of frost running a short length coming immediately from the compressor tube outlet.
    • I have a new defrost timer WR9X502 and Defrost Thermostat. WR50x122.
    • Im not 100% sure if these need replacing but saw them on another site that these are parts worth trying.
    • I just don't know where these are located on this fridge. I took nearly everything apart in the fridge side.
    • Removed panels and trays where the usual places on other fridges. I found the interior bulb compartments but nothing for these parts.
    • I also tried looking on top behind the service grill near the compressor and in the rear where I removed some sheet metal covers without any success.

I'm wondering if there is anything else I should be looking.

Everyone says just toss it out but no one wants to shell out the $$$ to get another one. Now I look like the fool. Any help would be appreciated!
    THANK YOU![/LIST]

Doc
    I cannot find any tech info on this unit.

The defrost timers should be up top. All you will probably see is a hole that lets you manually turn the timer cam as it is probably behind a plate/bracket.

The bad news is that replacing it will not do anything.
    You said "Post freon refill the compressor now has some a 1/8"-1/4" layer of frost running a short length coming immediately from the compressor tube outlet."
    Frost in only one area usually where the freon enters the evaporator coils is an indication of a sealed system problem.
    It could be low freon, partially plugged orifice or a bad compressor.
    So I would say that you have a sealed system problem.

If the compressor is running then the evaporator coil should get a fairly even coating of frost over it's entire surface.
    The unit is trying to get down to set temperature but cannot.