Thread: [FIXED] Temperature alarm not working on Whirlpool Model EV161NZTQ freezer

Post [FIXED] Temperature alarm not working on Whirlpool Model EV161NZTQ freezer

Model Number: EV161NZTQ
    Brand: Whirlpool

Freezer is operating properly and controls the temperature. Temperature alarm does not work at all, even in the TEST position. What area controls this? Is there a circuit board associated with the alarm, or a sensor that may not be working properly?

The alarm is #24 in the attached diagram, it looks like from the diagram it is probably located on the back of the freezer by the compressor. I would inspect the wiring and make sure you don't have any breaks in the wiring and that you have good connections everywhere. If the alarm is receiving power but it is not going off in the test mode, then the alarm is bad. That type of part isn't very common to fail, so I would inspect everything else first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EV161NZTQ.jpg  
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Lightbulb

Hi Doc,

I followed your advice and cannot find the alarm buzzer at all. It is not anywhere that is illustrated in the diagram. I got the complete parts list and diagrams from Whirlpool, and it shows the same thing. The only wires in the rear by the compressor go directly into the compressor. Nothing is under or anywhere around the compressor or drip pan. No other wires to indicate the location of the alarm. Very odd.
    Talked to Whirlpool parts people, but they only go by the diagrams for location, so I'll have to talk to a supervisor or possibly a parts person who was a former technician to help me out.

Maybe someone reading this post could assist me?

I'm starting to wonder if it is actually located in the control box where the alarm switch and thermostat are. I looked in there and did not see anything obvious, and no one can tell me if the alarm buzzer is part of the alarm switch.

What I don't know is what is the alarm sensor is sensing to indicate that the temperature is not controlling properly. To me that says the sensor is monitoring the thermostat and the alarm is triggered when the thermostat device that senses the actual temperature does not function properly.

None the less, this would not truly indicate the physical location of the alarm buzzer, because you want it to be in a location to hear the audible alarm, so I would doubt it would be inside the freezer itself.

Oh well, the saga continues. And no one has an actual photo or image of the alarm buzzer, but wait, would you be able to send or post a jpeg of the alarm buzzer by pulling one from stock so I can see what I am looking for? I would greatly appreciate it.

I will see if we can get a picture of this part for you. In the mean time, I would try locating the schematic for the freezer, it's usually hidden somewhere on the freezer. This will have the wiring diagram and it might show you some more information about the part.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    I will see if we can get a picture of this part for you. In the mean time, I would try locating the schematic for the freezer, it's usually hidden somewhere on the freezer. This will have the wiring diagram and it might show you some more information about the part.
    Doc,

I looked at the wiring diagram before, and it looks like the wires to the alarm buzzer could be brown and white. I removed the front grille at the bottom and shined a light toward the back, right side and saw what might be the alarm tucked into a wiring connection maze that leads to the compressor, and comes from the control unit. I could not see or feel this when I was looking at it from the back side because it was hidden.

If you can't get a picture, then tell me how many leads are on the alarm, and what king of connector, if any (molex, etc.) which could help me before I start tearing into that bundle and do more harm than good.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbobob View Post
    If you can't get a picture, then tell me how many leads are on the alarm, and what king of connector, if any (molex, etc.) which could help me before I start tearing into that bundle and do more harm than good.
    I won't know this until we get a picture of the part.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Cool

OK, just let me know when it is available. Thanks for the efforts.

Here you go! Click the link below for more pics.

Freezer Alarm - 3-82728-001
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Lightbulb Freezer alarm location.

Thanks for the picture, as this really helps me. Since the parts list for this freezer does not really show the true location of all parts, I found that the defrost timer and the compressor capacitor are the other items that are bundled in the right rear panel where there are a bunch of wire harnesses.

I thought the alarm buzzer would be back there, but it isn't, and there is no harness or connector with the 4 colored leads and thermocouple clip as shown in the pic you sent. I have to believe that the alarm buzzer is actually inside the freezer near the cooling coil, which is behind the cover that hides those components and the evaporator fan motor (which I recently replaced). I can't think of any other area where the thermocouple clip would connect to, so that is my conclusion.

The next time I have to remove that cover for another repair, or when the freezer has a minimum of food in it, then I'll get to replacing the alarm. Kudos on your effort in getting the photo and helping me along.

I'm going to order the part today, then wait for the freezer to get empty a little bit since I have to remove the contents to get to the coil area cover where I suspect the alarm buzzer is located. I'll get back to you with my results.

I was also guessing that the clip on the alarm would have to clip onto the evaporator coil. Let me know where you find that it is located, and how the repair goes for you.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

I was also guessing that the clip on the alarm would have to clip onto the evaporator coil. Let me know where you find that it is located, and how the repair goes for you.

I have resolved my issue with the freezer alarm not working, and its location in my model.

The freezer alarm IS located in the control box area. My user guide says that is the location of the alarm. Previously, when I took the control box off, I did not remove the thermostat from it to get a better look, because of the short length of the thermostat coil. This was my first time fixing the freezer and I didn't want to mess anything else up.

So today, I took a better look and saw the alarm tucked into the back, then decided to remove the thermostat, and there is was. I have included photos of it for future reference, and here are the steps I did to replace it.

1. Shut off thermostat, then unplug freezer from the AC line.
    2. Remove the control box housing the thermostat and alarm switch by removing the two screws that are recessed at the bottom of the control box.
    3. Carefully tilt the box forward enough to see the thermostat, but don't force it or you will damage the coil going into it. Remove the thermostat knob.
    4. With a small blade screwdriver, gently pry the plastic clips that hold the thermostat, then you can lift it out of the mounting bracket and set the thermostat to the side.
    5. Now you can rotate the control box forward and see the alarm in the rear. The color blends in with the rest of the box, making it hard to see without the thermostat removed.
    6. Make a color code diagram of the alarm switch leads as they attach to the alarm switch. The center leads of the switch stay connected. Only the 4 end leads get connected to the alarm.
    7. Pull off the lug leads one at a time, not all at once, each time replacing them with the good alarm leads of the appropriate colored wire.
    8. Remove the black clip thermocouple sensor lead from the mounting post that the front mounting screw of the control box screws into. The clip is there to allow the sensor to monitor the freezer temperature and trigger the alarm if the temperature goes 10 degrees above the set temperature.
    9. Before removing the two mounting screws from the bad alarm, test the new one by plugging in the AC power and flip the alarm switch to TEST. No need to turn on the thermostat. You should hear a "binging" sound. If so, then you can unplug the AC and remove the mounting screws from the bad alarm and mount the new one. Put the screws into the alarm first, just slightly coming out of the mounting holes, then mate them with the holes in the control unit inside base.
    10. Carefully put the thermostat back into its holding bracket. Put the knob back on.
    11. Position the entire control box so the two mounting screws fit securely into the screw posts.
    12. Plug in the AC power, set the thermostat, test the alarm again, and you should be back in business.

Thanks for your help, and I hope this post will assist someone else in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Freezer alarm2.jpg   Freezer alarm1.jpg   Freezer alarm thermocouple sensor clip.jpg  

Thank you for posting about your repair, I am sure it will help other people down the road! I have updated the status of this thread to FIXED.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com