Thread: Maytag Microwave shorted out during bulb removal. Barely powers up now. I killed it.

Unhappy Maytag Microwave shorted out during bulb removal. Barely powers up now. I killed it.

Model Number: MMV116WW-4
    [b]Brand: Maytag

The bulb under the 2012 Maytag microwave (that lights up the stove top) went out a few days ago. I opened the cover to replace it and found the glass separated from threads. I used a piece of wood to get the threads loose and it shorted out. It tripped the breaker. I didn't put a new bulb in. Yes, I know I should have flipped the breaker off before I went in after the bulb base.
    There was a lot of brown and black crumb-looking stuff around and in the bulb, although the glass cover should have protected it from any food crumbs.
    Tried to microwave food and the interior light was barely on and the power was extremely weak. It sounded as if it was operating at about 3%. I shut it off after 6 seconds. Did I kill it?

I forgot to mention that the idiot that put this bulb in originally apparently used blobs of clear silicone at or near the base. Perhaps they thought the bulb would vibrate if the fan was operating...no idea.