Thread: Gas Oven Igniter Compatibility Question

Gas Oven Igniter Compatibility Question

Model Number: 790.36683501
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Greetings:
    I have a Sears gas range and oven, installed (as a new purchase from Sears) in the house in 2006. The oven is starting to make a gas smell while operating. Last time this happened, maybe 6 years ago, I needed to replace the (lower) igniter. It took a bit of dredging around, but I was able to buy one from Sears and pick it up at a store about 30 minutes away from my home.

I am operating under the assumption the igniter needs replacement (I have yet to verify this). Under that assumption, I've looked up the part on Sears Parts Direct (part number 318177710 (replaces part number 316428600)) and was shocked to see it listed for $188 (my recollection is the last time it was about $75 (of course my memory could be wrong)).

Looking on Amazon, I see there are very similar looking igniters for about $30 … the main difference being the visual appearance of the electrical connector. I am not interested in wasting $150 for a "Sears branded" spare part.

I've also found, on another website, information indicating the "790" prefix on the oven model number indicates it was manufactured by Frigidaire.

Are the cheaper (but visually identical) igniters for Frigidaire ovens equivalent? (I'm assuming so, other than the connector).

I am also assuming I can cut off the connector from the old one, and silver solder it to the new igniter …?

Regards-
    Dave

Answer to my Question ... YES

Quote Originally Posted by dosco View Post
    Model Number: 790.36683501
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Are the cheaper (but visually identical) igniters for Frigidaire ovens equivalent? (I'm assuming so, other than the connector).

I am also assuming I can cut off the connector from the old one, and silver solder it to the new igniter …?

Regards-
    Dave
    The cheaper igniter looked visually identical to the old one.

So I bought the cheaper ($27) igniter on Amazon, cut the electrical connector from the old igniter, and soldered it to the new widget.

It worked with zero problem.

Savings = $125 (at least).

-Dave