Thread: [FIXED] Maytag - Freezer cold refrigerator isn't

[FIXED] Maytag - Freezer cold refrigerator isn't

Model Number: MFF2558VEW2
    Brand: Maytag

I seem to have a common problem -- a cold freezer and a warm refrigerator. First happened about a month ago. We took everything out, let it sit and then turned it back on. I worked fine until today, when the refrigerator got warm again. From reading other entries, it seems I should try replacing the control board and defrost thermostat. My problem is that I cannot find the defrost thermostat on the parts diagram that is available on the Maytag website. First question -- where is the defrost thermostat? Second question -- what is the part number? Third question -- how difficult is it to replace? Thanks.

From the description of your problem it sounds like the refrigerator is not going through the automatic defrost cycle. There are three defrost components on your model, the defrost thermostat, control board, and defrost heater. Replacing the defrost thermostat and control board will take care of the problem 99% of the time on these models. The heater is not very common to fail on this model. The defrost thermostat is located behind the back panel in the freezer section, and it is clipped onto the evaporator coil on the top right side. You will need to remove everything from the freezer to access this. While the freezer is apart, make sure you fully defrost the evaporator coil. You are correct that Whirlpool forgot to include the defrost thermostat in the parts breakdown for your model. I looked up some similar models to yours, and it looks like it most likely uses part number W10165425. Please let me know if you have any other questions, and keep me posted on how the repair goes for you.

These are the parts for your model:

Defrost Thermostat - W10165425

Control Board - W10503278
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Thanks for your help. Replaced both parts this weekend and everything seems to be working fine. I will knock on wood and hope it lasts.

Thanks for following up and letting me know. I updated the status of this thread to FIXED!
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter