Brand: Brand

Model Number: CRT18LPZRW0
Brand: Other

r/appliancerepair
•Posted byu/Aidonius
2 hours ago
Top freezer fridge, freezer not cold enough
Help!
I have a WCI top-freezer fridge, model number CRT18LPZRW0(I have not been able to find any information online about the fridge). It looks like the brand WCI was retired in 1991 so I guess it's at least that old.
The fridge was bought used 3-4 years ago. About a year and a half ago I replaced the defrost thermostat because the evaporator coils were completely frozen.
The freezer isn't cold enough but the fridge part is. The freezer part has a musty smell that I assume is due to the warmer temperature.

Here are the things I have checked so far:

• The evaporator fan works
  • The evaporator coils are free of frost
  • The compressor turns on regularly - this should mean that the start relay and the capacitor are both working correctly?
  • The compressor heats up while it is in operation. It seems like it's running not all the time but a lot more than it did before. It has been 30+ celcius weather for the last few days however
  • The door gaskets for the fridge and freezer are both fine
  • I have cleaned the condenser coils that are on the back of the fridge and there is no condenser fan
  • Even when the freezer is about half full and the vents are clear, only some things are cold enough to freeze partially and the rest won't freeze at all.
  • The baffle to let air from the freezer into the fridge is closed

I have noticed that the air coming from the condenser coils is not very cold. What else can I check to figure out why it's not cold enough?