Thread: GE French Door Refrig Ice Maker Clicking Noise

Patient

GE French Door Refrig Ice Maker Clicking Noise

Model Number: PFSS6PKWBSS
    Brand: GE

We have a 2 1/2 year old GE french door refrigerator and it has the ice maker located in the refrigerator section. A couple of weeks ago we noticed it wasn't making ice as fast as it normally does, and at the same time we started hearing a clicking noise coming from the ice maker. Now it isn't making any ice and the clicking noise is happening all the time. Can you replace parts in the ice maker or do you have to replace the whole thing when it goes bad?

On your refrigerator, when the ice maker fails you have to replace the whole ice maker as an assembly.

This is the ice maker for your refrigerator:

Ice Maker (7 cube) - PD00001987 (mfg# DA97-05422A)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Patient
    Thanks, looks like we will be ordering a new ice maker. They sure don't build stuff like they used to!

I have this same problem but can't figure out how to remove the ice maker. Can you point me to directions please?

Thank you.

This ice maker is easy to remove. First unplug the refrigerator. Then remove the screw on the left, and then remove the panel (I believe by sliding it towards you). This will give you access to the wire harness, unplug the wire harness to the ice maker. Next you will see a tab on the front top side of the ice maker, pull down on the tab while pull the whole ice maker towards you. And that is it! Re-install the new ice maker in the reverse order.

Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Quick Fix to Clicking

I have the same problem, usually is starts clicking in the middle of the night! The problem is the ice maker is trying to expell the batch of ice just completed. If the bucket is full but not pushing up the cut off arm, the ice will hang against the wall of the compartment instead of falling in the bucket. What you hear clicking is the gears jumping teeth because the ice release arms are being held by the ice. If you hit the side if the ice maker enclosure, it will often knock the ice down enough to let it fall (if you pull out the tray it will do the same but ice usually goes everwhere). I found by adding a small shim on the right side of the maker hanger plate at the top, it slightly twists the maker clockwise helping to increase the gap for the ice to fall.

Hope this helps.

How long did it take for the unit to go bad. Has your shim allowed you to not have to replace the assembly as mentioned above? My mother has this fridge, and she was telling me about these same symptoms. I told her I would look at it, but this make sense. Sometimes those cut off arms don't work so hot...I wish there was a better system.

Also, how often are you changing the Fridge filter?
    Last edited by alwayslooking; 10-22-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Should have finished the thread. I noticed there was ice all in the maker and maker compartment. It had frozen around the arm and locked it in place (down). In fact it locked the ice maker in place and wouldn't pull out until I took my blow dryer and melted the ice. Be careful, blow dryers get hot enough to defrom the platics. I pulled out the maker unit and found the source of the ice was coming from the top of the unit and running down the sides. Know this by seeing the mineral trail left behind by the water. I determined the water pressure was too high from the tap and was splashing over the side of the fill funnel on top of the maker. The water fills from the top of the fridge, you can access the fill point from on top of the fridge to check for any leaking at that point. Closing the water valve until it reduced the pressure of the water going into the maker seems to have fixed the overflow problem and haven't had a clicking event since. Pull out the maker and check for ice, you may have the same problem.