Thread: Samsung bottom freezer issue

Samsung bottom freezer issue

Model Number:
    Brand: Brand

Originally started with no ice. Replaced the ice maker, still nothing. While everything was out of the freezer, held drawer switch, fan works. Checked freezer evap heater, has continuity. Placed thermometers in upper drawer and bottom bin. Upper, 20-40 degrees. Bottom, 15-25. Probably never gets cold enough to trigger harvest on the ice maker. I can manually harvest via test switch. Checked defrost bi-metal stat and it has continuity at room temp. It is rated 60/40. Watched a bunch of YouTube videos and they all said it should have no continuity at room temp. Ordered a replacement, tested it before installing and it too has continuity at room temp. Installed it anyway, no difference. Also replaced the main control and inverter boards. No change. I can’t help but think the problem is with defective bi-metal thermostats, keeping the evap heater running continuously. I’m ready to cut bait on this refrigerator, but if the fix is another $30 bi-metal defrost stat that works properly, then why dump $1500-2000 on the next defective refrigerator. Any and all ideas welcome. Thanks!
    Last edited by size15shoe; 06-30-2020 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by size15shoe View Post
    Model Number:
    Brand: Brand

Originally started with no ice. Replaced the ice maker, still nothing. While everything was out of the freezer, held drawer switch, fan works. Checked freezer evap heater, has continuity. Placed thermometers in upper drawer and bottom bin. Upper, 20-40 degrees. Bottom, 15-25. Probably never gets cold enough to trigger harvest on the ice maker. I can manually harvest via test switch. Checked defrost bi-metal stat and it has continuity at room temp. It is rated 60/40. Watched a bunch of YouTube videos and they all said it should have no continuity at room temp. Ordered a replacement, tested it before installing and it too has continuity at room temp. Installed it anyway, no difference. Also replaced the main control and inverter boards. No change. I can’t help but think the problem is with defective bi-metal thermostats, keeping the evap heater running continuously. I’m ready to cut bait on this refrigerator, but if the fix is another $30 bi-metal defrost stat that works properly, then why dump $1500-2000 on the next defective refrigerator. Any and all ideas welcome. Thanks!
    Hello, I wanted to test the evap fan for my freezer but I don't know where the freezer drawer switch is located. I don't know if my fan is bad. I thought it runs even with the door open, but maybe not...

Quote Originally Posted by wx100 View Post
    Hello, I wanted to test the evap fan for my freezer but I don't know where the freezer drawer switch is located. I don't know if my fan is bad. I thought it runs even with the door open, but maybe not...
    Left wall toward bottom, near front. Fan is not very loud and blows gently. You need to open drawer and hold button down. There is a delay before fan starts. The room you are in needs to be quiet so you can hear it start. You should also be able to feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by size15shoe View Post
    Left wall toward bottom, near front. Fan is not very loud and blows gently. You need to open drawer and hold button down. There is a delay before fan starts. The room you are in needs to be quiet so you can hear it start. You should also be able to feel it.
    Thank you very much. For my model, it was a magnet. I was able to test that the fan actually works so it seems like I may have an issue with the defrost temp sensor causing ice to build up. These Samsung fridges are horrible...

3 years old and full of issues

Quote Originally Posted by wx100 View Post
    Thank you very much. For my model, it was a magnet. I was able to test that the fan actually works so it seems like I may have an issue with the defrost temp sensor causing ice to build up. These Samsung fridges are horrible...

3 years old and full of issues
    I replaced that also. It is now on the deck waiting for the recycle company to come and take it away.
    There is a reason qualified Samsung techs don't reply to these forums, there are none or they know ultimately they are junk. Too bad, i liked it while it worked.