Thread: Dryers hums and only spins with assistance even after replacing rollers and belt.

Dryers hums and only spins with assistance even after replacing rollers and belt.

Model Number: WED6200SW1
    Brand: Whirlpool

The dryer stopped working and was just humming and heating up. I found that if I held the door switch, turned it on, and started the drum by hand it would start running. Following more advice online I decided to get a maintenance kit that included new rollers and a belt. After cleaning the supports and replacing the rollers (making sure they spun freely) I air blasted and vacuumed the living crap out of the entire inside of the dryer, even the motor seemed stuffed with lint which is what I thought a big part of the issue was. Once all back together it is doing the same thing, hums when I start it but runs fine if I give it help. I did notice that after bolting the bulkhead back onto the front that the drum does not spin super freely until I give it a push and even then there is a little resistance at first. The drum seals look okay and don't seem to be pinched or folded anywhere.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Small update: I pulled the lint duct off the back, cleaned all that out and the blower fan. Nothing was too clogged up, the motor shaft spins very easily when the belt is not on and even now with it on it seems pretty good. I cleaned up the drum, especially where it sits on the rollers and double checked the felt seals. After getting it all back together it seems to spin a little easier but still requires a small start by hand to get it spinning when I turn it on.

I am stumped at this point and since I only paid $100 for the dryer itself I don't really want to spend the money on a handy/repair man to check it out.