Model Number: RF266AEBP
Brand: Samsung

Short story/question: I'm looking for info on testing the DA47-00243K Bimetal defrost thermostat. Everything I know and have read about these devices is that should be closed when frozen and open when warmed above "room" temperature. For this specific device I believe these numbers to be open above 60°F and frozen below 20°F (there is a "60/40" printed on the side). I tested the one I pulled out of my fridge and it was closed at room temperature so I bought a new one. Brought the new one home and tested it before installing and it, too was closed at room temperature. So I went back to the appliance parts store with my multi-meter and they had 1 more in stock. I tested it at the counter before purchasing and it also tested closed at room temperature. Does Samsung just do their defrost thermostats different than everybody else in the world?? Is this one closed at room temp and cold when frozen? I don;t have a good way to freeze it down to 20°F right now since my refrigerator is disassembled to replace this part!

Longer backstory if you are interested: I have the above model Samsung French door refrigerator. It is included in the class-action lawsuit concerning the refrigerator evaporator freezing up frequently because the condensate drain freezes closed and does not defrost. Early on I did the "homemade" fix of wrapping copper wire around the defrost element and then running the end down in to the drain hole to keep it from freezing up. This helped a LOT. It did still freeze up occasionally, but it was about once a year at most and the fridge could use a good cleaning about that often anyway, so we have just lived with it. However, when Samsung release the DA82-01415A kit that was supposed to fix this problem I went ahead and ordered one and sat it on the side waiting for the next time the fridge froze up to install it. Well, that was 2 weeks ago and after installing the new kit, I have been getting a frozen up evaporator every 3 to 4 days instead of once a year now. However, I do notice that the drain and lower half of the evaporator never have any ice. . . it's only the upper half of the evaporator that is now freezing up. I believe the defrost sensor (DA32-00006S) is indeed bad and have installed a new one of those this morning, but I was going to replace the bimetal thermostat at the same time since I was in there (and hoping to never have to disassemble this fridge again) and that's when I tested both my old one and the new one I bought and they are both closed at room temperature. This brings me to the question above as I'm hoping to put this thing back together tonight and be done with it for a long time to come .