Thread: GE Dishwasher Won't Fill

GE Dishwasher Won't Fill

Model Number: GDF610PGJ2BB
    Brand: GE

Control panel lights up and accepts settings. START lamp lights up, but unit does not fill.

I am trying to determine if flood switch assembly (part # WD21X10519) is stuck in the upper position. The online GE docs say to pull up on the assembly to remove it, but that's not possible because it's held in place by two screws. I am hesitant to remove the screws because I don't know if there might be some cautions associated with doing this.

It is difficult to see inside the assembly when installed, but it looks like there is a center post that the float might ride up and down on; however, I would expect to see some kind of float at the bottom of the post, but I can't. I suspect the float might be stuck in the upper half of the assembly. I have tapped on the assembly and probed thru the slots, but haven't encountered anything that moves.

I also suspect it might be the door switch, but I am starting with the float because removal of the door switch does not look to be easy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I found a video on replacing the flood switch assemby so I removed and cleaned it. It was completely gunked up inside and, as someone said elsewhere, it did not rattle when shaken. Took about 1 1/2 hours of soaking, running water in via the narrow slits, and poking thru the slits using a very thin wooden skewer. I was amazed at how much stuff came out of it, and when done it did rattle. More importantly, it worked after I re-installed it.

But it didn't work when I first turned the breaker back on. It beeped once per minute trying to tell me that the door wasn't closed, but it definitely was. My wife suggested that I cycle the circuit breaker one more time which , of course, I poo-poo'ed. Guess what? That got it going!

After 6 weeks of working, it again will not fill so I installed a new flood switch assy. As with the last time, when I turn on the circuit breaker, the Start light flashes and it beeps about every 30 seconds. I tried cycling the circuit breaker multiple times leaving it off for a few seconds (which worked last time) or 5 minutes or 10 minutes or 2 hours. I have reset it with the Start/Reset button also, but nothing will clear the problem. The dishwasher should reboot when I cycle the circuit breaker, but it doesn't.

Before I going shopping for a new one (not going to put $150 to $200 in a $400 dishwasher to get it repaired), does anyone know of anything else I could try?

Thanks