Thread: Washer doesnt spin

Washer doesnt spin

Model Number: A408
    Brand: Maytag

I have a Maytag washing machine model A408. When the machine is started, it begins and agitates fine. However, when it gets to when the agitate cycle is over and it should spin out, the following happens. You hear the switches going through their normal "clicking" progression but when it gets time to spin out you hear the motor hum but nothing happens. If left on its own the motor will hum till the overload goes out. The switches and timer will continue like they should and since the motor is tripped, the wash cycle will end will a full tub of soapy water. However, if I can catch it before the motor overload goes out and advance the control to the final spin setting...that spin cycle works fine. Just seems like it only happens after the agitate cycle. I have removed the belts and checked the motor, drain pump and drive pulleys to see if they spin freely and they appear to do so. The drive pulley is a little hard to spin. I am at a loss to why it will do the final spin but not the one after the agitate cycle. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This type of problem can come from a bad motor, timer, capacitor, or bad wiring. It is not very easy to narrow down this type of problem. You will need to located the schematic on the washing machine and try to determine which part is bad.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter