Thread: Old Frigidaire Oven - Antique Temperature Probe

Old Frigidaire Oven - Antique Temperature Probe

Model Number: CFES355RES1
    Brand: Frigidaire

Hi there. I'm trying to repair my 76 year old mother's range, which is about 20 years old. The symptom we're seeing is that the range was running too hot and too wide a range of temperatures. When I measured it, it was averaging about 70F from low to high temperature at any given set point, and always the temperature range was above the set point. For example, if I set the oven to 350F, i would see a range from 366 to 440F. This was pretty repeatable at any given set point. I could not find any reference to this model on the web (at all, which is strange), so I chalked it up to being a Canadian model. I did find a whole set of models with the CFES355 prefix and they all used the same temp probe, so I ordered it and went to install. What I found was very interesting. The existing probe is completely different than the replacement. Aside from being longer, it has some hardware at the rear with spade-type connectors, and (more importantly), it was connected with what looked to be 14 gauge wire as opposed to the 18 gauge used now. Needless to say, the new probe did not work. I tried to measure the resistance of the old probe, but it was nowhere in the 1080 ohm range, so I'm pretty sure it's running on a higher voltage. I'm trying desperately to find this probe. Please see attached a picture of the probe and also the rear assembly portion. I tried calling Electrolux, which covers Frigidaire in Canada, but their records don't go back 20 years. I'm hoping you have seen this probe in your travels and know if any replacement is still available. In the meantime, I've adjusted the control knob so at least the set point is in the middle of the temperature cycle, but 70F still seems pretty dramatic a swing. Thanks in advance for your consideration. Cheers, Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20201222_143416.jpg   20201222_142627.jpg