Thread: Samsung Refrigerator section not cooling correctly (freezer is)

Samsung Refrigerator section not cooling correctly (freezer is)

Model Number: RFG298AAWP
    Brand: Samsung

Hello,

I have a Samsung RFG298AAWP fridge freezer. Starting about a week ago the temperature in the refrigerator section has been 40’-45’F according to some thermometers I have in the fridge cabinet. The fridge reports the set point as 34’F and the measured temperature as 34’F (incorrect as actual is measured >40’F). I cycled power to the system a few times and when I do the correct temperature reading is reported. Over time as it goes back to 34’F but then the actual temperature starts to drift (increase only) and I can see the temperature is >40’F and yet pressing the Fridge or Freezer button the system reports a temperature of 34’F and a set point of 34’F. I used a lamp to heat a thermometer and the fridge's thermistor at the back of the fridge to 65’F and the fridge still reported a temperature of 34’F on the display. I cycled power and the fridge reported a more reasonable >60’F like the thermometer. At first I thought it was an issue with the temperature sensor (thermister), but since the systems seem to report the correct temperature right after a power cycle it seems like the controller board is not reporting / reading the thermistor correctly over time and not correctly controlling the temperature?

No error codes are being reported on the display (Pressing Energy Saver and Light button).
    Freezer seems to be working fine measured to be -2'F and set to -2'F.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Did you ever find the solution to this? I hope someone else sees this thread. I saw a post elsewhere that led me to believe that many Samsung fridges will display the set temperature during the defrost cycle. That may explain the symptoms we both have.

1. Reset the fridge, and correct temperatures inside fridge and freezer are correct, but fridge does not cool (stays between 45-50 degrees). Freezer is fine.
    2. After a few hours (the defrost cycle time?) The fridge starts reporting whatever temp I set it to cool to as the current temperature.

I suspect the bi-metal thermal fuse or the main board. The main board though was just replaced along with the ice maker to repair the class action issue with those. I will pull the fridge out and try to measure all the sensors from the connections going to the motherboard so I don't have to take everything apart.

My fridge is the French Door version with the middle cooling drawer. RF30HBEDBSR/AA

There are two printed circuit boards. One is the controller board and the other is the compressor inverter board. I bought both boards off Amazon with free returns which blows me away they would accept returns. I swapped both boards at the same time and the refrigerator has been working fine since then. I don't know which board was the problem, but did not want to take a chance on one board taking out the other if I swapped them one at a time. Ultimately it cost ~$275.00 to get the fridge working fine.