Thread: Element not heating after replacement

Element not heating after replacement

Model Number:
    Brand: Whirlpool

Whirlpool dryer not heating after element and high limit replacement. I replaced the heating element and high limit therm on a Whirlpool dryer. Before replacing the back cover the element worked during a one minute test. Replaced the back cover and exhaust hose and it did not heat. Checked all wiring connections and there was a 'possible' loose connection on a thermal fuse. After all connections were confirmed 'snug', tested the element for approx one minute. Element worked fine. Replaced the back cover but did NOT connect the exhaust hose for a quick test of the heating element. The element did not heat. I am puzzled. Could it be a thermal fuse block?

Thread update by poster, Roger D. Model #LEQ8858HQ1, SER# MJ4609043- tHANK YOU

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Roger D. View Post
    Thread update by poster, Roger D. Model #LEQ8858HQ1, SER# MJ4609043- tHANK YOU
    What you could try to determine if it is the thermal fuse causing this issue when the covers are on is to short the two terminals of the thermal fuse with a small wire jumper clip if you have one, or wrap some wire around both terminals of the fuse, effectively shorting it out and taking it out of the circuit temporarily. Then cover it with electrical tape so nothing touches the cover when you replace it.

I have done this in the past when trying to determine if the thermal fuse was open circuited, thus causing my heating problem. It's worth a try. Just be sure you keep the wire or paper clip, or whatever you use to bypass the fuse, from touching anything metal, OK?

Roger,

Do you have an ohm meter or multimeter that you can use to test parts for continuity?
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Yes Doc Ryan, I have an ohm meter.

Turbobob, I will try the jumper wire test. How long do I run the the dryer to see if the test is effective? I assume the 'test' for a problem thermal fuse will be evidenced by the element heating and remain heating, but for how long should I conduct the 'test' with the jumper wire.?

Thank you, Roger D.

Using your meter I would test the different components for continuity. This will tell you if they are good or bad. Make sure you unplug the dryer and disconnect the wires from each component that you are testing.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter