Thread: Bad Relay?

Bad Relay?

Model Number: GTS22WCMBRWW
    Brand: GE

Hello, I'm posting for a friends who has a GE fridge model: GTS22WCMBRWW that has stopped cooling. I say has stopped cooling but not exactly... He plugs it in and the compressor may run and cools great for anywhere from 5hrs to 8-9 days before it stops cooling. No rhyme or reason. The fridge stays On (lights, etc) but the compressor will stop and not come back on, not frozen or even hot (just normal warm temp) when it stops. UN-plug and will run normally again. After I looked at the control Board, nothing looked abnormal, we noticed that it's you genitally touched/tapped the 832A-IC-S Relay it would click very wildly and the compressor would stop. Seems like it may have a cold solder joint or a failing relay. Thought about replacing the relay but may be hard to find and/or require bulk (#25+) ordering. How about just re-soldering the relay?

Thoughts?
    Thank you for any help!
    Robert
    -currently in Mesa, AZ

Robert,

It sounds like you have narrowed it down to the main control board being bad. The control boards are not designed to be serviced and they do not sell individual components for circuit boards. If a component on the control board fails you will have to replace the control board.

This is the motherboard for your refrigerator:

Main Control Board - Part # PD00000994 (mfg # WR55X10942)
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Hi Ryan,
    Yeah, 'replacing' instead of repairing things seems to be the way of the world these days. If I could get the relay easily I think it would be worth a shot at fixing instead of replacing the whole board (plus saving $). I may try re-soldering it anyway, in case it's just a cold solder joint. If it doesn't work, he's not really out anything.

Since originally posting, I have read there may have been some kind of recall because of a similar 'clicking' issue with the control board? Any chance it applies to this unit and would be replaced by GE for free?

Thanks again for any help,
    Robert

You will need to contact GE regarding any recall or warranty information. I have not seen any recalls on these control boards.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter