Thread: Whirlpool Side-by-side Refridge Won't Turn Off

Whirlpool Side-by-side Refridge Won't Turn Off

Model Number: ED5GHEXNL01
    Brand: Whirlpool

Refridge runs constantly freezing contents. Will not turn off even when temp control turned down to "off". Unplugging and defrosting does not remedy the problem when plugged back in. Where should I begin troubleshooting?

The refrigerator thermostat (also called a cold control) is what controls the temperature and it tells it when to run and when to turn off. It sounds like that part is most likely bad. You can unplug the refrigerator and remove the thermostat. With the thermostat turned to the off position, it should not have any continuity, if it does than the thermostat is bad and should be replaced. Also, an easier test that sometimes will confirm the thermostat is bad is to turn the thermostat to the "off" position, and then tap on the knob with your finger. If this causes it to shut off, then replacing the thermostat should fix your problem. Let me know what you find.

This is the thermostat for your refrigerator:

Cold Control - 2198202
    Ryan

PartsDr.com
    - Discount Appliance Parts & Accessories

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Check out our Repair Videos on Youtube

"Like" Parts Dr on Facebook

Follow Parts Dr on Twitter

Ryan,
    Thank you so much for your reply below. The thump test worked! The unit did turn off when the temp control was thumped while in the "off" position. Today, I picked up a replacement cold control (part number you included) and have begun to remove and replace the defective control. However, after removing the two most obvious screws (indicated by red circles enclosed), the box seems to still be attached to the refrigerator along the top front edge. I hesitate to force the control box free and perhaps break it. There are several screws across the bottom of the box, but in the diagram, they appear only to secure pieces within the box. How do I remove the control box to access the cold control?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    The refrigerator thermostat (also called a cold control) is what controls the temperature and it tells it when to run and when to turn off. It sounds like that part is most likely bad. You can unplug the refrigerator and remove the thermostat. With the thermostat turned to the off position, it should not have any continuity, if it does than the thermostat is bad and should be replaced. Also, an easier test that sometimes will confirm the thermostat is bad is to turn the thermostat to the "off" position, and then tap on the knob with your finger. If this causes it to shut off, then replacing the thermostat should fix your problem. Let me know what you find.

This is the thermostat for your refrigerator:

Cold Control - 2198202
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ControlBox.jpg  

You also have to remove #25 to access the screws behind that panel. You can remove that cover by prying it out using a thin flat blade screw driver, and then carefully pulling it the rest of the way out. Let me know how the refrigerator works after you get the new thermostat installed.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com

Please help keep our repair forum FREE by purchasing your replacement parts from our online store. Thank you for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ryan View Post
    You also have to remove #25 to access the screws behind that panel. You can remove that cover by prying it out using a thin flat blade screw driver, and then carefully pulling it the rest of the way out. Let me know how the refrigerator works after you get the new thermostat installed.
    Hi again Ryan,
    Thanks for the tip about prying off #25 to access the screws behind. I was surprised at how much force was required to pop off the fascia panel, but it did eventually come off in one piece with no damage. Now that the control box is freed of the four screws, it is hung up on #15 attached to #23. The clip (#24) is securely set on 23 and does not seem to slide off easily. What needs to be detached to free up the control box to access the cold control?

Thanks so much for all your help with this!

It is usually easiest to remove the screw (#16), and be careful when you remove this screw that you don't lose the washer underneath it. You will have to remove the cover to access the capillary tube that wraps around the air damper.
    Ryan

PartsDr.com